Double caramel self-saucing pudding

8 Jun

double caramel self-saucing pudding recipe.jpg

I can only speak for my family but caramel is the queen of flavours when it comes to desserts, milkshakes, sauces, macarons… anything sweet really. So when I was thinking of making a dessert for the Hungry Family it was obvious that caramel would figure in there somewhere. Then I hit on an idea: instead of one lot of caramel, why not double it?

And as the cold winter weather has finally arrived in Sydney – much to my happiness – I thought a warming pudding would make a lovely treat for the family.

Boom – double caramel self-saucing pudding was born!

Growing up my mum used to make self-saucing pudding all the time and often it was caramel flavoured. These puddings are such a snap to make, use pantry ingrediets and don’t require a mixer. If you have a spoon, a bowl and an oven you CAN make a self-saucing pudding.

Golden syrup is the key to turning desserts such pudding into molten caramel-y goodness. I know it can be hard to find it some parts of the world. Perhaps treacle would work?

Serve this easy double caramel self-saucing pudding with vanilla ice-cream or cream and just try and stop at one serve #BetYouCant

Double caramel self-saucing pudding..png

1 1/4 cups self-raising flour

1/2 cup brown sugar

100g butter, melted

1 egg

1/2 cup milk

4 tablespoons golden syrup

1 1/2 cups boiling water

¼ cups butterscotch chips

¼ cup brown sugar, extra

1 tablespoon self raising flour, extra

Double caramel self-saucing pudding.png

In a small bowl stir together the extra self raising flour and brown sugar – set aside.

Preheat oven to 180C and spray a 1.5L glass or ceramic deep baking dish with non-stick baking spray.

In a large bowl mix together the flour and sugar with a silver spoon then whisk in the milk, egg and golden syrup.

Stir in the butterscotch chips then pour the batter into the baking dish.

Sprinkle the extra flour/sugar mix over the top then carefully tip the boiling water over the top of the pudding.

Place in oven and bake for 35 minutes.

Serve immediately.

13 Responses to “Double caramel self-saucing pudding”

1. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 8, 2017 at 8:17 pm #

I think they find it hard to find golden syrup in America but they can always use maple syrup too 🙂

• The Hungry Mum June 10, 2017 at 8:52 am #

oh, I didn’t even think of maple syrup as an alternative – thanks!

2. lulu June 8, 2017 at 8:25 pm #

Caramel is a flavor that is hard to beat. Your recipe is intriguing and well worth a try.

• The Hungry Mum June 10, 2017 at 8:53 am #

Cheers Lulu – it is as simple as stirring and popping on the kettle :0

3. June 9, 2017 at 7:21 am #

This syrup is not hard to find in the US or you simply can order it. I am fortunate to live in an area where can I can get just about any ingredient. Looks delicious 🙂

• The Hungry Mum June 10, 2017 at 8:53 am #

Oh, that is good to know! I have had comments on different posts about how hard it is to find is some parts.

4. Gary Lum June 9, 2017 at 5:39 pm #

I agree Mum, caramel is the best there is.

5. Rhonda Sittig June 13, 2017 at 1:39 am #

Hello Hungry Mum– this looks so rich and delicious. We make a chocolate version of this cake– but I’ve never seen it in caramel!! Want to give it a try! thanks!

• The Hungry Mum June 13, 2017 at 8:45 pm #

Thanks Rhonda 🙂 If you like the chocolate version you will LOVE the caramel! It is super delish!

• Rhonda Sittig June 16, 2017 at 5:48 am #

Can’t wait to try it. thanks!! xo

6. karrie / Tasty Ever After June 14, 2017 at 12:17 am #

OMG!!! I love caramel!!! We always do the chocolate version too and have never seen a caramel version. My Father-in-law is coming over for Father’s Day this Sunday and he would love this (he’s not a big chocolate fan). I’m going to make it for him! Thanks for sharing 🙂

• The Hungry Mum June 15, 2017 at 8:40 am #

Oh, that is ace to hear! Loving your enthusiasm! Hope your FIL loves this pudding as much as I do 🙂