Hot smoked salmon rillettes

4 Apr

There is no polite way of describing how I react around smoked salmon. I like the word gourmand but feel glutton is more apt. I adore the stuff and love it served any way – on sandwiches, in pasta, wolfed straight from the packet…

So what a joyful day it was when I received an email from the lovely peeps at Huon Reserve, asking me to participate in the Huon blogging challenge.

Off I toddled to their website to order a selection of their uber-delicious products, then thinking cap was tipped to a jaunty angle to create a dish that could be eaten all year round.

May I present my smoked salmon and trout rillettes, a fancy spread that is friends with all types of crackers and breads.

Even Misses 6 & 8 who despise smoked salmon (say whaaat?) were eating this stuff straight from the jar.

I could see this being served on Melba toasts as a starter at a fancy pants dinner party, or served with plain crackers on a picnic. I spread on it toast and served with a poached egg for breakfast the other day and that combination was amazing!

It is simply that good. Being all boast-y, I should add that the yogurt used in this recipe was made from scratch by Miss6 and the Hungry Dad. Surely I deserve extra points for that?

Huon produce their fish in Tasmania, an island fabled for its immaculate waters. And when you consider it, clean waters is fairly important for healthy and delicious fish.

This dish needs hot smoked salmon and trout to work – not cold sliced salmon or raw fish.

ImageImage

Gather:

300g hot smoked trout or hot smoked salmon fillet – this is nothing at all like cold smoked salmon, which wouldn’t work in this recipe. I used a combination of Huon Reserve Selection honey cured hot smoked salmon, blackened spice hot smoked salmon and hot smoked ocean trout.

50g butter at room temperature

4 heaped tablespoons Greek yogurt – you want something tart and full of flavour so please avoid using low fat versions

1 lemon – zested and juiced

freshly crackled black pepper, to taste

fresh parsely, finely cut

fresh chives, snipped

ImageImage

Let’s get to it:

Place butter in bowl of food processeor and blend until soft.

Add in the flaked salmon/ trout fillets, ensuring it is bone-free and blend.

Then add the yogurt, pepper, lemon zest and juice, and herbs and wizz until combined.

Place in a sterlised glass jar with lid and place in fridge until ready to use.

46 Responses to “Hot smoked salmon rillettes”

1. Sara (Belly Rumbles) (@bellyrumbles) April 4, 2014 at 1:37 am #

Smoked salmon rillettes are probably one of my most favourite things in the world! This recipe is just so perfect for Easter in a few weeks time, great for sharing. I only say that as I would quite easily eat the lot myself.

• thehungrymum April 4, 2014 at 1:44 am #

Me too! Whenever I see it at farmer’s markets I buy it, get home & scoff the lot! Now I know how easy it is to make I’ll do it more often. I literally just had a few spoonfuls straight from the jar #piggy

2. Liz April 4, 2014 at 3:12 am #

yum! so elegant :-)

3. Leah April 4, 2014 at 3:32 am #

Yum, sounds fantastic. I love Huon salmon too, the flavour is far superior to a lot of other smoked salmon products that I’ve tasted. :-)

• thehungrymum April 4, 2014 at 5:42 am #

Yes! The flavour is so much better than so many other brands.

4. Frugal Hausfrau April 4, 2014 at 3:56 am #

Looks so perfect to put out while everyone is waiting for Easter Dinner to be ready!

• thehungrymum April 4, 2014 at 5:24 am #

Great idea – I think anyone would be happy to be served this :)

5. craftysorcha April 4, 2014 at 9:18 am #

Oh YUM! I too am a smoked salmon addict, so I’ll definitely be making this!

• thehungrymum April 4, 2014 at 9:24 am #

It is soooo amazing – I just can’t stop eating it.

6. Choc Chip Uru April 4, 2014 at 9:38 am #

Your salmon looks and must taste fantastic :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

• thehungrymum April 6, 2014 at 4:23 am #

cheers CCU! Glad to see you’re still around – was worried that you were going to go to ground :)

• Choc Chip Uru April 6, 2014 at 7:24 am #

haha nope never its just difficult to keep up everything with uni (I’m still a newbie) :D

7. Midge April 4, 2014 at 10:33 am #

My dad and I are salmon fans and this would go down a treat with both of us!

• thehungrymum April 6, 2014 at 3:53 am #

Salmon is my go to fish – I love it served any & every way. I hope you try it.

8. Shrinking Queen April 4, 2014 at 10:38 am #

That looks delicious and well done for yogurt from scratch – I often use mackerel and quark cheese as it’s fat free but this looks great.

9. bmacky April 4, 2014 at 11:30 am #

Hot smoked salmon rillettes seems to be a wonderful food to eat.. Wanna try this at Nowra my homeland when I get there after travel.

• thehungrymum April 6, 2014 at 3:49 am #

I hope you do get to try it – it is easy & delish {mine’s all gone :( }

10. chef mimi April 4, 2014 at 1:24 pm #

I/ve only made rillettes with fresh cooked salmon, so this is very intriguing to me! Love all rillettes!

• thehungrymum April 6, 2014 at 3:41 am #

This is super dooper fast – you could have this on the table in mere minutes :)

11. cheergerm April 5, 2014 at 12:55 am #

Beyootiful and yoghurt from scratch! You do deserve extra points.:)

12. Deblet April 5, 2014 at 6:28 pm #

Love smoked salmon it’s just raze expensive in South Africa so usually gets kept for celebrations,great recipe will save for a special occasion.

• Deblet April 5, 2014 at 6:28 pm #

I meant to write crazy expensive

• thehungrymum April 5, 2014 at 11:12 pm #

it isn’t cheap in Australia either but I do love it ;)

13. whatjessicabakednext April 6, 2014 at 9:09 am #

Love smoked salmon- these rillettes look perfect! Definitely a recipe to give a go! :)

• thehungrymum April 6, 2014 at 11:18 am #

Isn’t it the best?! Hope you do try it – would be perfect for a party.

• thehungrymum April 7, 2014 at 7:49 am #

Cheers! I’ve polished off my jar so time for some more! Am thinking I’ll serve it as part of my Easter brunch buffet.

14. LFFL April 6, 2014 at 10:47 am #

Love what you did here with the salmon. Looks good.

• thehungrymum April 6, 2014 at 11:17 am #

Thanks! So much yumminess for very little effort.

15. andmorefood April 7, 2014 at 1:35 am #

oh you’re my kind of person – I LOVE hot smoked salmon like nothing else. it’s frightfully expensive in singapore, but when I lived in the UK I would buy these for snacking. such a delicious thing.

• thehungrymum April 7, 2014 at 4:15 am #

It used to be only a luxury food in the Hungry house too but since I don’t eat meat I figure I’m entitled to buy it. Plus, life is short & I’m greedy :)

16. ChgoJohn April 7, 2014 at 5:31 am #

This looks so good that you’ve sent me on a quest to find hot smoked salmon. Can your tasty rillettes be far behind? :)

• thehungrymum April 7, 2014 at 7:36 am #

oooh, I hope you find it! Because I’m quietly confident you will adore the rillettes just as much as I do :)

17. danguole April 9, 2014 at 8:02 pm #

A friend brought smoked trout rillettes to a party one time and I swear it changed my life! I could see how this could convert a smoked salmon non-fan. I’m a huge, huge fan of smoked salmon, though–which is odd because I’m only “meh” on salmon prepared any other way.

• thehungrymum April 11, 2014 at 2:48 am #

Isn’t it just so delish? It really is a revelation :) And coz it is super easy to make you can make & change someone else’s life!

18. girl in a food frenzy April 11, 2014 at 11:29 pm #

I love this short cut method for rillettes. One of my favourite ways to enjoy salmon too. Along with potted shrimps & more. Yum :)

• thehungrymum April 12, 2014 at 4:54 am #

so easy & sooo delish! Wish I had some left so I could eat it by the spoonful… #classy

19. sid May 8, 2014 at 9:20 pm #

yummo that looks so good!

• thehungrymum May 9, 2014 at 5:02 am #

Thanks! I need to make another batch #ateTheLot

• thehungrymum May 15, 2014 at 3:07 am #

Why thank you :)

• thehungrymum May 29, 2014 at 7:52 am #

Was one of the best things I’ve ever made… in fact, I might make some more this weekend.

20. EmmaEats June 14, 2014 at 11:39 am #

This looks absolutely wonderful and I’m only wishing I had some hot smoked salmon on hand so I could make this now! Delicious!

• thehungrymum June 14, 2014 at 11:44 am #

Thanks! It is sooo addictive – make double the quantity as you *will* eat it all :)

21. thehungrymum April 24, 2014 at 1:45 am #

Isn’t smoked salmon the best? I could eat it all day, everyday :)