13 Dec

XMAS Cookie Recipe SwapIMG_5068

So I was trawling Twitter one day in lieu of doing some chores and found a cookie swap hosted by the creative types at Real Housemoms, {I love} My Disorganised Life, and White Lights on Wednesdays. This had my name all over it so I jumped on board!

I was paired up with Canadian blogger www.MrsKelleher.com - go check out her lovely blog!

She wrote: ‘In our house, every year we have a list of “must have’’ Christmas baked goodies, that we make every year to have on trays that we give out to our family. This recipe is always the number one request!

“This year I wanted to incorporate my new addiction of chai and let me tell you they didn’t make it past the wax paper!”

IMG_5071

This was the perfect recipe for me – being summer here in Sydney the temperature has been 30C plus all week – hardly conductive to having the oven on! These were a cinch to make and like I always do, I took a plate of these to share with my work colleagues. They were snaffled in seconds!

Thanks for the fab recipe, Mrs Kelleher!

Wanna see what everyone else got up to? Visit <!– start InLinkz script –>

<script type=”text/javascript”>

document.write(‘<script type=”text/javascript” src=”http://www.inlinkz.com/cs.php?id=348788&‘ + new Date().getTime() + ‘”><\/script>’);

</script>

<!– end InLinkz script –>

Gather:

2 cups white sugar [I reduced to 1.5 cups]
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cocoa

1 tbsp chai spice ( recipe below for her  homemade chai spice)

1 cup coconut
3 cups oatmeal / slow cook oats

Let’s get to it:

Grease and line several big baking trays with greaseproof paper.

In a large saucepan boil sugar, milk, vanilla, and butter for 3 minutes only (use a timer).

Remove from heat then mix in remaining ingredients.

Drop heaped tablespoons onto paper then place in fridge to cool.

Chai:

In a small bowl mix:

1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp ground all spice

41 Responses to “Christmas cookie recipe swap – how to make a healthier version of no-bake chocolate crackles”

1. craftyminx1980 December 13, 2013 at 1:02 am #

Sounds delicious. I love this time of year,it’s such a good excuse to bake and try new recipes

• thehungrymum December 14, 2013 at 10:01 am #

So many baking recipes, so little time :)

2. Liz December 13, 2013 at 5:14 am #

looks delish! Lots of fun texture contrasts :-)

3. quilt32 December 13, 2013 at 8:12 am #

These sound so interesting – I’m going to make a batch.
    Lillian

• thehungrymum December 14, 2013 at 10:01 am #

They are soooo easy! I took some today to a family Xmas do and they were gobbled up in no time!

4. grabyourfork December 14, 2013 at 11:38 am #

Yum – love the idea of adding chai! No wonder they were so popular!

5. deliciouslynell December 15, 2013 at 1:48 am #

Yum! I’m a big fan of chai in cookies!

• thehungrymum December 15, 2013 at 2:25 am #

I now am, too! Who knew chai was so delish in baked good?!

6. Bam's Kitchen December 15, 2013 at 2:56 am #

Thanks for the healthier alternative. Love the spices in this cookie. Wishing you a safe and happy holiday season. BAM

• thehungrymum December 15, 2013 at 3:02 am #

Thanks! Hope your Christmas is wonderful, too.

7. Fran @ G'day Souffle' December 15, 2013 at 5:45 am #

The Chai seasoning sounds interesting- a bit of Asian mixed in with the sweet pastry!
    I haven’t been using Twitter much but I’m going to ‘follow’ you on Twitter now!

8. themondaybox December 15, 2013 at 11:36 pm #

No bake recipes are the best when the weather is hot! We are big fans of chai so I think this recipe will be enjoyed at my house! Do you store them at room temperature or in the fridge?

• thehungrymum December 15, 2013 at 11:39 pm #

I agree! I keep them in fridge as Sydney + summer + chocolate = messy!

9. Tandy | Lavender and Lime December 16, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

these sound like something I will love! My sister says it has been very hot in Sydney :)

• thehungrymum December 17, 2013 at 9:16 am #

Give them a go – they’re so quick! Has been TOO hot here, am over it! Give me winter any day.

10. lemongrovecakediaries December 17, 2013 at 8:51 am #

Great recipe – I am loving the chai spice mix :)

• thehungrymum December 17, 2013 at 9:16 am #

thanks! the chai makes a big difference & is so easy to make.

11. tastytreats13 December 18, 2013 at 1:32 am #

Looks great! How tasty!

12. http://poetbblog.wordpress.com December 19, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

Thank You, Looks yummy You Rock!

13. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) December 21, 2013 at 12:14 am #

YUM!!!
    Looks delicious! What a delicious flavour combination, so much healthier than the traditional recipe.

• thehungrymum December 21, 2013 at 10:08 am #

thanks! I think copha is evil so this recipe is all you need :)

14. Choc Chip Uru December 23, 2013 at 11:15 pm #

Such a delicious healthy chocolate snack for Christmas my friend :D

Happy Holidays!
    CCU

• thehungrymum December 23, 2013 at 11:55 pm #

Thank you my dear! Hope Santa is kind & you enjoy your break.

15. BeWithUs December 24, 2013 at 10:58 am #

They do look delicious enough for munching during this festive holiday!

Thank you for sharing~ Merry Christmas, my dear friend!

All the best to you and your loved ones in Year 2014! Cheers~ :D

• thehungrymum December 26, 2013 at 10:09 am #

thank you for your sweet words! Hope your new year is full of wonderful things x

• BeWithUs December 27, 2013 at 7:37 am #

You’re welcome, my friend!

Thank you so much for your lovely blessings and do have a wonderful day ahead, always~ Cheers!! :D

16. Martine @ Chompchomp December 30, 2013 at 12:54 am #

YUM!!!! I love chocolate crackles! Wising you a very Merry (Belated) Christmas and a happy and healthy new year!

• thehungrymum January 4, 2014 at 5:27 am #

Thanks! Hope your new year’s is wonderful :)

17. Chompchomp December 30, 2013 at 12:55 am #

18. dedy oktavianus pardede December 30, 2013 at 4:17 pm #

lovin your crackles, never add coconut before on it, tempting to try….
    Merry christmas n happy new year my friend, God blessed you all the way!

• thehungrymum January 4, 2014 at 5:26 am #

Coconut improves most baked goods as far as I’m concerned :) Hope your new year is wonderful.

19. Lilly Sue December 31, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

What a fun idea! I like the chai spice addition! These look great! I will have to try and remember to make these when our hot summer comes back around!

20. LFFL January 2, 2014 at 2:34 pm #

I love making no bake cookies!

21. The Smart Cookie Cook January 4, 2014 at 11:51 pm #

Mmm they sound amazing! And of course, I’m a huge fan of anything no-bake. I don’t see how these could be any more perfect.

• thehungrymum January 5, 2014 at 6:44 am #

wow, aren’t you sweet?! Thanks for the lovely words.

22. Shanshan Lam (@food_religion) January 5, 2014 at 11:00 am #

oats and coconut sound like my type of thing! need to try this!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Christmas Cookie Swaps | Mrs. Kelleher - January 30, 2014

[…] ginger 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1/4 tsp ground pepper 1/4 tsp ground all spice Go check out the post on Belinda’s blog as well as all of her yummie […]