Simple chocolate cornflake biscuits / cookies (Afghan biscuits)

2 Jan

Easy chocolate cornflake cookies - The HUngry Mum

Baking and reading are two of my favourite hobbies so you can imagine how happy I am when perusing the cookbook section of my local library. I love meandering through, taking my time to flick through the baking books to find the right ones to borrow.

Recently I discovered The Primrose Bakery Book (Martha Swift and Lisa Thomas), a beautifully presented baking book. It is named for the bakery in London that looks picture perfect and so cute.

There were quite a few recipes calling to me but the one I chose to bake first was Afghan biscuits. The authors called them Australia’s fav biscuit but I have to say, I had never even tried one until reading this book!

These easy chocolate cornflake cookies are a quick and simple biscuit to make and you probably have all that you need to bake them in your pantry right now. They were a hit with my colleagues at the newspaper, and also with Misses 8 and 10 in the lunchbox. A great all-round treat that takes mere moments to make.

The authors topped their cookies with chocolate buttercream but I left mine au naturel. This makes a small batch.

200 grams unsalted butter, diced, at room temperature

75 grams caster sugar

175 grams plain flour

25 grams cocoa

50 grams cornflakes.

Easy chocolate cornflake cookies

Preheat oven to 180C and line a baking tray with non-stick paper.

Cream butter and sugar until pale and creamy, then stir in the flour and cocoa and beat until combined.

Use a silver spoon to stir in the cornflakes, trying not to crush them.

Heap a large tablespoon of mixture onto the baking tray and use a fork to slightly flatten.

Continue with all the dough, hen bake for 15 minutes.

Leave on tray for five minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

The Hungry Mum Easy chocolate cornflake cookies

21 Responses to “Simple chocolate cornflake biscuits / cookies (Afghan biscuits)”

1. Silverpepperofstars January 2, 2016 at 7:06 pm #

They look so good!

2. youthfoodblog January 2, 2016 at 7:10 pm #

Love the cornflake. Very special!

3. ChopinandMysaucepan January 2, 2016 at 11:31 pm #

Dear Hungry Mum,

I love those crispy corn flakes in cookies. I don’t bake but I know I will add more than 50gms if I ever do! Happy new year and best wishes for 2016!

• The Hungry Mum January 24, 2016 at 12:08 am #

thanks – hope 2016 is a great year for you 🙂

4. Fourth Generation Farmgirl January 3, 2016 at 12:12 am #

These look wonderful. Happy New Year!

5. Lina January 3, 2016 at 3:51 am #

Sounds crispy and yummm

6. Smiling Notes January 3, 2016 at 4:14 am #

Wow.. Such a unique dish.. Loved it!

7. Anna @ shenANNAgans January 3, 2016 at 5:19 am #

Cornflake cookies…… Soooooo good! They look the pimped version of what I used to make back when I was a teen. Can’t wait to give these guys a whirl. Yarm!

8. For The Love of Ghee January 4, 2016 at 1:16 am #

hmmmm yum! I love cookies with cornflakes in them. They’re on a realm of their own. So addictive! Happy New Year!

• The Hungry Mum January 11, 2016 at 8:57 am #

Cheers! I may just have to pop to shops for more cornflakes so I can make these again.

9. Laura @ Feast Wisely January 4, 2016 at 6:11 am #

Making buns with cornflakes reminds me of my childhood….

• The Hungry Mum January 11, 2016 at 8:56 am #

I don’t think we had cornflakes growing up. We were more a toast-and-Vegemite family 🙂

10. January 4, 2016 at 3:22 pm #

Never put cornflakes in cookies – looks delicious and crunchy!

11. ChgoJohn January 4, 2016 at 3:50 pm #

Although I’ve not hear of using corn flakes in cookies, I would have bought the cookbook because it must be the only written by a Martha that isn’t also a Stewart. Such a rarity! 🙂

• The Hungry Mum January 6, 2016 at 1:17 am #

OOOh, cornflake cookies are such a popular thing here! As are honey jumbles, another cornflake sweet treat that I may just have to blog about 😉

12. hotlyspiced January 5, 2016 at 7:05 am #

Growing up a Kiwi, we had Afghan biscuits all the time. And like the tussle over ownership of the pavlova, we think Afghans are a kiwi biscuit! I do love the dark chocolate taste of an Afghan xx

• The Hungry Mum January 6, 2016 at 12:15 am #