Chocolate Chambord ricotta cake with raspberries.

23 Feb

raspberry-ricotta-chocolate-cake

Call me late to the party but I have just discovered two ingredients that are rocking my cake baking world.

One is Chambord, a luscious raspberry liqueur that tastes like heaven. I don`t know where it has been hiding all my life but I do know where it is hiding now – in my pantry, and in my cakes. I wish Chambord would pay me to spruik their wares, or even just send me a case of the stuff, as this addiction is gonna get expensive.

The other ingredient is not as sexy, exotic or expensive but it makes cakes taste like there`s a non-stop party in your mouth.

This humble ingredient is ricotta cheese. And I’m not even talking about the kind you get fresh from the deli. I am referring to the good old, dependable tubs of ricotta stacked in the supermarket cold section.

I have baked with ricotta before – namely, my unbelievably good baked cheesecake, https://thehungrymum.com/2012/10/21/donna-hay-baked-cheesecake/ – but lately I have been using it in a different way.

Recently I baked a ricotta and lime cake yet foolishly didn`t take any photos. Trust me when I say it was just gorgeous. I will definitely have to re-make it and shoot soon.

Then there is this, the glamorous, decadent and utterly magnificent chocolate Chambord ricotta cake with raspberries. This is a cake for a dinner party, or when you need something rich and posh. It is dense and moist and everything you want in a fabulous dessert.

It does take a while to bake so ensure you factor that in. otherwise it is a simple, one bowl cake to create and one your guests will adore. You don`t even need an electric mixer for this chocolate Chambord ricotta cake with raspberries.

It is best made a day before serving, and only keeps for a day or two. Serve with a dollop of double cream to amp up the luxe.

chocolate-chambord-ricotta-cake-with-raspberries

2 cups self-raising flour

1/4 cup cocoa powder

3/4 cup caster sugar

150 grams dark chocolate, finely grated on Microplane

1 cup ricotta cheese

100g butter, melted

1 cup hot water

4 tablespoons Champbord

1 cup frozen raspberries – leave frozen

LET`S GET TO IT:

Preheat oven to 160C and grease and line a round 20cm round cake tin with non-stick baking paper.

Pour all dry ingredients – expect raspberries – into a large metal bowl and stir with a silver spoon until combined.

Make a well then stir in wet ingredients and stir until just combined.

Stir in the raspberries gently, then scrape the batter into the pan.

Bake for one hour then check- you may need an extra 15 or so minutes. Allow to cool completely in pan before turning onto a wire rack to cool.

chocolate-ricotta-chambord-cake-with-raspberries

Advertisements

14 Responses to “Chocolate Chambord ricotta cake with raspberries.”

1. Deb_Larder&Life February 23, 2017 at 7:50 pm #

This sounds delicious and great flavour combination!

• The Hungry Mum February 24, 2017 at 6:09 pm #

Thanks Deb – I was so happy with the way it turned out.

2. Laura @ Feast Wisely February 24, 2017 at 8:24 am #

Yum Hungry Mum – I’ve never heard of chambord until now but it sounds delicious!

• The Hungry Mum February 24, 2017 at 6:06 pm #

I’d heard of it but wasn’t really sure what it was. So glad I was seduced by the pretty bottle in the shop 😂

3. Laura (PA Pict) February 24, 2017 at 8:38 am #

Yuuuuuuuuum! I haven’t had chambord in years. I may have to go buy some.

• The Hungry Mum February 24, 2017 at 6:06 pm #

Oh yes, it is divine. I’m so stocking up next time we go overseas. Love duty free 😀

• Laura (PA Pict) February 24, 2017 at 10:44 pm #

Yes, I think that’s how I got my last bottle too.

4. Fun Fun Cook February 25, 2017 at 4:43 am #

It looks delicious!

5. youthfoodblog February 27, 2017 at 5:04 pm #

Love this cake! Thanks for sharing!

6. FrugalHausfrau March 1, 2017 at 3:28 am #

Oh my gosh, posh is the perfect description! It looks so gooey chocolate decadent yummy. And I never say yummy, lol!

7. Chez @ Chez Moi March 3, 2017 at 7:45 am #

Yum! I always see Chambord in duty free shops, always think about buying it (raspberry liqueur!) but I’ve never tried it before so I don’t know if I like it or how to use it. This is a great endorsement – I know what I’m getting next time I travel!

8. Karen March 4, 2017 at 8:20 am #

What a delicious sounding cake…this is a real keeper.

9. A Cookbook Collection March 13, 2017 at 9:15 pm #

This looks insanely good. I love a good one bowl cake recipe!