Blueberry cupcakes with blueberry cream cheese frosting

10 Nov

Blueberry cupcake  with blueberry cream-cheese frosting

Look at the pretty blueberries in these cupcakes. They really are nature’s work of art. I have found a frozen brand of Australian-grown blueberries that I am happy with and always ensure I have a bag in the freezer. I bake with them, the Hungry Dad makes Bircher muesli with them, Miss-now-8 adds them to Greek yogurt and Miss9 is happy to eat a bowl of them for a snack #winning

At the moment in Sydney fresh blueberries are plentiful so you can take your pick when making them delectable blueberry cupcakes with blueberry cream cheese frosting (or cream cheese icing, for my fellow Aussies).

Fresh or frozen works fine and if you opt for frozen there is no need to defrost first.

These blueberry cupcakes are really moist and the Greek yoghurt adds a lovely tang. Try not to eat all the frosting / icing before you ice the cakes – a real danger #OrIsThatJustMe

Blueberry cupcake  w blueberry cream cheese frosting

120g unsalted butter, softened

½ cup caster sugar

1 2/3 cups self-raising flour

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 cup Greek yogurt cream

1 cup blueberries (frozen is fine)

Icing:

180g unsalted butter, softened

250g cream cheese, softened

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups pure icing sugar, sifted

¼ cup blueberries, extra

Blueberry cupcake  with blueberry  cream cheese frosting

Preheat oven to 190°C and line a cupcake pan with wrappers.

In bowl of electric mixer beat butter, sugar and vanilla on medium speed until fluffy and pale – about three minutes.

Scrape down bowl with a spatula then add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined.

Beat in half the flour, then half the yogurt, then rest of flour then rest of yogurt. Using a silver spoon gently stir in the blueberries.

Fill the wrappers two-thirds full and bake for 15-ish minutes or until a skewer inserted into a cake has only a few crumbs clinging to it.

Remove to wire rack too cool completely.

Meanwhile, make icing: In bowl of electric mixer beat cream cheese, vanilla and butter together until pale and creamy – about two minutes. With beater on low beat in icing sugar then increase speed to medium and beat until thoroughly combined. Use a silver spoon to stir through and break up most of the berries, leaving enough for decoration. Scrape icing into ziplock bag, snip off the corner and pipe icing onto cake, then top each one with a single blueberry.

Blueberry cupcake  with cream cheese frosting

Advertisements

28 Responses to “Blueberry cupcakes with blueberry cream cheese frosting”

1. chocolatesuze November 10, 2015 at 7:19 am #

mmm that frosting sounds amazing, i reckon im gonna have to double the recipe so i can eat it with a spoon 😛

2. youthfoodblog November 10, 2015 at 8:08 am #

Great finish look!

3. Lisa @ cheergerm November 10, 2015 at 9:13 am #

Blueberry cupcakes, lovely Mrs H. I have that annoying problem of one kid loving them and one kid hating them. Argh.

• The Hungry Mum November 10, 2015 at 9:33 am #

why do these kids insist on testing us so? I feel like waving a white flag most days, shouting ‘You win. I surrender.’

4. Heather @ Sweet Precision November 10, 2015 at 1:37 pm #

Lovely looking cupcakes! I like the addition of Greek yogurt to the batter!

5. Ivette November 10, 2015 at 4:13 pm #

Looks super good!!!

6. DanielaApostol November 10, 2015 at 5:20 pm #

They look delicious; and the pictures are amazing!

7. bakeplaysmile November 10, 2015 at 8:52 pm #

Yum!! So simple and yet the best flavour combination. Cant wait to try these!

8. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 10, 2015 at 11:02 pm #

I found a brand of fresh blueberry that is really sweet. Usually they’re not quite sweet enough but this one brand was so nice! They were a bit smaller than the other ones too.

• The Hungry Mum November 10, 2015 at 11:46 pm #

oooh, you’ve found a winner! I buy the fresh ones for baking and my gals demolish the lot in mere moments.

9. hotlyspiced November 11, 2015 at 1:28 am #

What lovely cupcakes. It’s great you’ve been able to find frozen Australian berries – none available in my supermarket; they’re all imported and so I don’t buy them. I am however enjoying the fresh blueberries that are at a very reasonable price at the moment xx

• The Hungry Mum November 11, 2015 at 4:11 am #

I could be wrong but I am fairly confident that the Aussie blueberries are Coles own brand – and I try to avoid supermarket brands. It is only one size that are Aussie berries, the large size are from Chile or China.The fresh ones are great at the mo!

10. gourmetgetaway November 11, 2015 at 4:16 am #

They look super delicious! So pretty, I would eat all the frosting too 😉
    Thanks so much for sharing
    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

11. Tandy | Lavender and Lime November 11, 2015 at 6:32 am #

I also keep a bag in the freezer for in case situations, like when I see amazing recipes like this one 🙂

12. muffinmum November 11, 2015 at 6:38 am #

Love blueberries. These sound fab.

13. Lynz Real Cooking November 11, 2015 at 12:22 pm #

This looks lovely and delicious!

14. Sophie33 November 12, 2015 at 9:45 am #

Things of beauty! Ooh yes! They look so appetizing too! 🙂

15. skd November 20, 2015 at 10:02 am #

I love the blueberry cream cheese icing. Sounds very yumm….can’t wait to try it.

• The Hungry Mum December 19, 2015 at 6:15 am #