One bowl Mexican chocolate cake

20 Jan

IMG_9130

When I told Miss5 that I was baking a Mexican chocolate cake she asked if it had tacos and beans in it. No, it doesn’t, but it does have one helluva kick. This comes courtesy of some spice that transform the sometimes overly sweet flavour of chocolate cake into a cake for grown-ups. I found the recipe on food.com and tweaked it.

Gather:

1 1/2 cups self-raising flour

1 cup sugar

½ cup Dutch cocoa

1 cup cold water

2 teaspoons cinnamon

¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

splodge of vanilla

¼ canola oil

IMG_9126 IMG_9127 IMG_9128

Let’s get to it:

Preheat oven to 180C and grease and line a round 20cm cake pan.

Put all ingredients into a bowl and mix with spoon until combined.

Scrap into cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes / until a skewer comes out clean.

Sit for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rake.

I dusted with icing sugar when cake was cold, or try serving with a rich chocolate glaze, as per the original recipe.

[See the original here: http://www.food.com/recipe/mexican-chocolate-cake-69917 ]

IMG_9131

Advertisements

35 Responses to “One bowl Mexican chocolate cake”

1. Awanthi @ I Speak Awanthi January 20, 2013 at 4:35 am #

Nom! That sounds – and looks – gorgeous. Although I adore chocolate, chocolate cake is one of my least favourite cakes. I’m not entirely sure why that is; they always seem to be loaded with sugar, sugar, and topped off with more sugar. It’s more sugar than chocolate. But I think I’d like the taste of this cake.

• thehungrymum January 20, 2013 at 6:38 am #

Thanks 🙂 It has to be a *really* good chocolate cake to tempt me these days – everyday sponges, mud cakes and normal cakes just don’t float my boat. I love a soft centered oozy dark choc cake every so often but give me cheese over dessert any day 🙂

2. petit4chocolatier January 21, 2013 at 4:05 am #

This looks and sounds delicious !!

3. Cass @foodmyfriend January 22, 2013 at 4:46 am #

Mexican choccy cake is my favourite. So damn good. I can’t wait to try this 🙂

• The Hungry Mum October 2, 2015 at 6:53 am #

Thanks! It is so easy to make yet packs a punch.

4. Choc Chip Uru January 22, 2013 at 8:37 am #

Mmmm so much spice and chocolate together 😀

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

5. Foodie Joanie January 25, 2013 at 2:34 am #

Incredible! I love the combination of chocolate and pepper. I’m going to try this one!

6. LinsFood January 26, 2013 at 10:09 pm #

Fantastic, what an easy but exciting recipe! I’d love to make this.

• thehungrymum March 18, 2013 at 9:23 am #

So easy yet so zingy! Hope you got a chance to make it x

7. fickleosophy January 27, 2013 at 12:48 am #

Sounds scrumptious! And just my speed on the baking skills level…cannot wait to try it!

• thehungrymum January 29, 2013 at 11:55 pm #

Cheers! And as far as I’m concerned, an easy cake = a good cake 🙂

8. fickleosophy January 27, 2013 at 1:22 am #

Reblogged this on FICKLEosophy and commented:
    Finally a recipe that does not diminish my elementary baking skills – but celebrates them with simplicity of skill and ingredient! Thanks The Hungry Mum! Ummmm…what’s a splodge – a word I can get obsessed about!

9. Lilly Sue January 29, 2013 at 11:25 pm #

This looks great!!

10. Saskia (1=2) February 5, 2013 at 12:58 am #

This one has my name on it. Can’t get enough of Lindt chilli dark chocolate, so cayenne pepper in a chocolate cake sounds amazing.

• thehungrymum February 5, 2013 at 6:39 am #

Ohh, have never tried that Lindt but I’m a huge Lindt fan. We’re lucky enough to have a Lindt cafe nearby – swooooon.

11. scarletrosita February 8, 2013 at 7:00 am #

I have now made this cake … very good, photos later 😀

• thehungrymum February 10, 2013 at 4:19 am #

Wonderful! Glad to hear, and can’t wait to see the photos 🙂

• scarletrosita February 10, 2013 at 9:36 am #

Go have a look, it was really good

• thehungrymum February 10, 2013 at 10:07 am #

WOW!! Super way fancier than my humble version!

• scarletrosita February 10, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

Yeah but only because I was selling it, when we made cakes just for us at home we’d be more concerned about leaving enough for when Dad got home than, what it looked like. It is still really all about the taste and I bet your tasted great 🙂

• thehungrymum February 10, 2013 at 11:22 pm #

You’re too sweet 🙂

________________________________

12. Christine @ Cooking Crusade February 11, 2013 at 7:39 am #

Looks great! Maybe you could try making Miss5 a cake with black beans and/or chickpeas – very Mexican! hehe

• thehungrymum February 12, 2013 at 10:33 am #

If it was smothered in cheese I’m sure she’d wolf it down x

• thehungrymum February 18, 2013 at 1:26 am #

She’d love that 😃

13. ohlidia February 19, 2013 at 1:41 am #

Love your blog. Will definitely have to try some of this yumminess! Thanks for visiting.

14. Christine (FoodWineTravel) February 21, 2013 at 9:26 am #

So easy and so inviting!

• thehungrymum February 21, 2013 at 10:04 am #

And so delish! Thanks for popping by.

15. girlinafoodfrenzy February 22, 2013 at 1:43 am #

I’m a fan of the Max Brenner Mexican chocolate do this definitely appeals to me in terms of flavours & spices. I absolutely love cocoa as an ingredient for chocolate cakes. So often I make one (which folks can’t believe) has no ‘actual’ chocolate inside too!

16. Karen @ Folk Haven March 3, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

I love Mexican chocolate… adding in some cinnamon gives yet another layer of Mexican goodness 🙂 I made my husband some truffles for our first Valentines Day after we married with cayenne and cinnamon added to the chocolate. It was hard to restrain myself and leave it for him. This cake recipe sounds fantastic and I’m looking forward to trying it.

• thehungrymum March 6, 2013 at 10:51 am #

ooooh, those truffles sound amazing! I adore cinnamon & think it marries with choc so well. Let me know how you go with the cake 🙂

17. thehungrymum January 20, 2013 at 9:22 am #

What a perfect day! Pass the snow – is going to be 31C here tomorrow 😦

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. A Late Start « Sophie Pembroke - January 20, 2013

[…] And today, to celebrate finally feeling better again, I plan to stay warm, watch the daughter and the husband make a snowman in the back garden, and make them butternut squash and spinach lasagne for their tea. Possibly followed by chocolate cake. Maybe this one. […]