Donna Hay white chocolate and macadamia biscuits / cookies

12 Jun

So as you may have noticed I quite enjoying baking :) I especially love sharing my baked goods with family and friends – despite my adoration of turning sugar, flour and eggs into cakes and biscuits I’m not such a sweet tooth. #teamSavoury.

As is my wont I made these Donna Hay white chocolate and macadamia bickies [or cookies, for my American friends] and took them into work this week. My friend Jane declared these morsels to be some of my best work. When I relayed this compliment to the Hungry Dad he agreed.

These bickies / cookies are obviously a winner.

IMG_7563

Macadamias are indigenous to Australia but despite the fact they grow here they are massively expensive. I bought whole nuts and chopped them up which was silly – it is cheaper to buy already broken pieces, so keep an eye out for them.

I halved the sugar from Donna’s original recipe and reduced the amount of white chocolate – I find less is more.

125g softened, diced butter

½ cup caster sugar

1 cup plain flour

1 cup self-raising flour

1 cup chopped macadamia nuts [unsalted]

1 egg

150g white chocolate, diced

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

IMG_7566

Preheat oven to 180C and line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla in bowl of electric mixer until pale and non-gritty.

Scrape down sides, add egg and beat in.

Add flours, nuts and chocolate and mix until incorporated.

Roll balls the size of walnuts, place on tray and slightly flatten.

Bake for 12 -14 minutes / until light gold.

Cool on trays for five minutes before removing to cooling racks.

64 Responses to “Donna Hay white chocolate and macadamia biscuits / cookies”

1. cookingwithauntjuju.com June 12, 2014 at 10:35 am #

I love any baked good with macadamia nuts. They are expensive here too and I use them sparingly in a recipe. You cut back on the sugar which is great especially if they still taste delicious :)

2. Nancy June 12, 2014 at 12:49 pm #

Your cookies sound deliciously perfect…love the crackled tops! Macadamia nuts are a lovely addition to baked goods, especially paired with white chocolate! I’ve never been able to find chopped macadamia’s in my area…I’m forced to pay top dollar for the whole nuts. Oh well, the flavor is too good not to use them.

• thehungrymum June 13, 2014 at 1:04 am #

Thanks! I try to only buy macs when they’re on special but this week the urge to bake this recipe was too strong & I paid top dollar :(

• Nancy June 13, 2014 at 1:45 am #

I’m so glad you did. :)

3. agentjustyna June 12, 2014 at 1:15 pm #

I almost always halve the amount of sugar, too.. Although I never do that with chocolate, haha. Great recipe! They look pretty.

• thehungrymum June 13, 2014 at 1:05 am #

What is it with recipes using stupid amounts of sugar?! Nearly always it ends up being too sweet. I don’t usually halve the choc but I find white choc sickly!

4. Lori June 12, 2014 at 2:14 pm #

You had me at white chocolate and macadamia! I love that combination!

• thehungrymum June 13, 2014 at 1:06 am #

Yep, it is a winning combo! Hope you make them.

5. davegon June 12, 2014 at 7:31 pm #

I love the way the cookies have a look similar to macadamia nuts, even though you can’t see them, specifically.

• thehungrymum June 13, 2014 at 1:07 am #

Hey, good observation! Thanks for checking out my recipe.

• davegon June 13, 2014 at 1:28 am #

Oh, they’re expensive here, too! Love them, though.

6. lemongrovecakediaries June 12, 2014 at 11:28 pm #

Good idea to reduce the sugar, I love Donna’s recipes but I do find her biscuits can be a little on the sweet side. I will definitely give your version a try. Have a good weekend!

• thehungrymum June 13, 2014 at 1:08 am #

You’re right – her sweet things usually are on the VERY sweet side. Hope you get to do some baking this weekend.

7. acasadisimi June 13, 2014 at 12:42 pm #

Can i have one? lokks elicious!
    Simi

• thehungrymum June 14, 2014 at 12:38 am #

Oops, the hungry dad finished them off last night :)

8. Kaila511 June 13, 2014 at 2:02 pm #

These look delicious! Thanks for bringing them to Fiesta Friday, and have a wonderful weekend. :)

• thehungrymum July 10, 2014 at 3:04 am #

How much fun is Fiesta Friday?! Love it! Thanks for visiting my blog :)

• Kaila511 July 10, 2014 at 4:22 am #

I look forward to it every week! Hopefully, I’ll see you again soon. :)

9. crafteaheart June 13, 2014 at 2:11 pm #

They look and sound delicious! Ohhhh I wish I was nearby to get a few bites! Happy FF#20! :)

• thehungrymum June 14, 2014 at 12:40 am #

Maybe we can organize a cyber carrier pigeon?!

• crafteaheart June 14, 2014 at 12:46 am #

That would be GREAT! hehe

10. Sinfully Tempting June 13, 2014 at 2:58 pm #

Macadamia nuts and white chocolate are a great combination. Love this recipe! Happy Fiesta Friday! :)

• thehungrymum June 14, 2014 at 12:41 am #

They just work so well together :) Enjoy your weekend.

11. Michelle June 13, 2014 at 6:19 pm #

These look yummy. I was in Australia in 2005 or 2006 and noticed macadamias, while still expensive, were still cheaper than back in the UK! So did indulge a few times. I never bake with them though, if I see them on sale sometime I might just have to make these!

• thehungrymum June 14, 2014 at 12:39 am #

I’m amazed I actually had enough macadamias to add to the mix- I ate soooo many during the prep :)

12. Joanne/WineLadyCooks June 13, 2014 at 9:08 pm #

My family loves cookies and I just love a cookie with nuts, and macadamia nuts are definitely delicious. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe with Foodie Friends Friday party this week. I’ve pinned and shared.

We look forward to seeing you again next week with another delicious recipe.
    A Foodie Friends Friday Co-host,
    Joanne/WineLady Cooks

• thehungrymum June 13, 2014 at 11:44 pm #

Aww wow, thanks for the kind words :) I’m going to put a reminder in my phone for next weeks FFF.

13. love in the kitchen June 14, 2014 at 1:08 am #

Love that you ate so many macadamia nuts while mixing that you nearly didn’t have enough. That doesn’t sound familiar…. Not at all. LOL!

• thehungrymum June 14, 2014 at 8:50 am #

hehehe! The perils of snacking with ingredients while cooking :)

14. Fae's Twist & Tango June 14, 2014 at 2:11 am #

Happy Fiesta Friday #20, Mum! In the USA, there is a famous cookie company/stores called Mrs Fields (do you know?). We don’t have a store close to us. Just a few days ago, I was craving for her white chocolate & macadamia cookies (made with lots of butter). :P I’m glad you brought some to the Fiesta! Happy me! :)

• thehungrymum June 14, 2014 at 8:51 am #

Right back at ya :) Yes, I’ve heard of Mrs Fields :) Maybe you can whip up a batch this weekend?!

15. kathryningrid June 14, 2014 at 5:18 am #

Fabulous!!!

• thehungrymum June 14, 2014 at 6:53 am #

Popular, too – just made my second batch in 4 days :)

16. bec {daisy and the fox} June 14, 2014 at 5:36 am #

yumm!
    Donna Hay’s recipes are the best :)
    and there’s nothing better than that white chocolate and macadamia combo!
    thanks for the recipe :)

Bec {Daisy and the Fox}

• thehungrymum June 14, 2014 at 6:44 am #

Thanks! Always happy to connect with another Donna fan :) And I’ve just made another batch of these due to popular demand!

17. Ahila June 14, 2014 at 12:09 pm #

I love macadamia nut cookies and these look really yummy! Have a lovely weekend! :)

• thehungrymum July 10, 2014 at 3:03 am #

Aren’t they sooo yum? Very addictive :) Thanks for your sweet words :)

18. chefjulianna June 14, 2014 at 8:13 pm #

What a wonderful combination! Your cookies sound heavenly! I love white chocolate! :D

• thehungrymum June 15, 2014 at 1:26 am #

Thanks :) I made another batch yesterday to keep the Hungry family yesterday.

19. apuginthekitchen June 15, 2014 at 2:16 am #

Lovely biscuits!! White chocolate and macadamia nuts are perfect together.

• thehungrymum June 15, 2014 at 5:57 am #

Thanks! They really do marry nicely. I made another batch yesterday :)

20. eatmunchlove June 15, 2014 at 5:55 am #

Yum! what of my favorite combinations!

21. Michelle June 16, 2014 at 3:21 am #

These look delicious. Thanks for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday!

• thehungrymum June 16, 2014 at 4:59 am #

Cheers! Am loving FFF – I’ll be back :)

22. hotlyspiced June 16, 2014 at 3:43 am #

What gorgeous looking cookies. I love the combination of white chocolate and macadamias and Donna Hay’s recipes are always so reliable xx

• thehungrymum June 16, 2014 at 4:58 am #

Yes – in all my years of baking I can count maybe 2 fails with Donna’s recipes. These are delish little nuggets – highly recommend them for a sweet treat.

23. nfrain June 16, 2014 at 5:21 am #

I have made these cookies as well and they are so so delicious! everyone I make these for loves them! occasionally I substitute the macadamias for cranberries, which is a nice change, or I swap the caster sugar for brown sugar, this creates a chewier cookie! I love that the mixture makes so much as well :) might need to go home and make these delicious cookies! I love baking as well, be sure to check out my blog a mix of health, fitness, baking and stories! x

• thehungrymum June 16, 2014 at 11:24 am #

Thanks so much! I also love swapping brown for white sugar – it is such a great way of changing the taste. I’ve started following your blog :)

• nfrain June 16, 2014 at 11:32 am #

I saw! Thankyou very much 😘 hope you enjoy my posts! I love yours x

24. mandylee@ladyandpups June 16, 2014 at 10:11 am #

Just dropping by to say hello! I will happily trade my dinner with a box of these cookies, pls :)

25. Chitra Jagadish June 16, 2014 at 2:13 pm #

Hello,

Open with smile and keep smiling :)

I am passing this ‘Versatile Award’ to you for your creativity. Look forward to see your post with this award soon. Please click the link for details:

Wishing you a lovely day and Take care!
    Chitra Jagadish

26. indusinternationalkitchen June 18, 2014 at 2:59 am #

omg! These look so delicious – makes me hungry! :)

• thehungrymum June 18, 2014 at 11:17 am #

hehehe! Hope you make a batch to quell your hunger :)

27. zoe and nada June 21, 2014 at 7:44 am #

Hi there, we are trying to get in touch with you to see if you would like to work with us on a project. One of us also works at fairfax :) Can you contact us on our email address?

• thehungrymum July 10, 2014 at 3:03 am #

Hi Zoe & Nada, I sent you an email a while back from my Fairfax address – did you get it?

28. Liz June 22, 2014 at 2:51 am #

so much yum :-)

• thehungrymum June 24, 2014 at 5:24 am #

There’s none left and the fam is getting restless!

29. thehungrymum June 13, 2014 at 1:12 am #

They def are a match made in bickie heaven :)

30. thehungrymum June 13, 2014 at 12:17 pm #