Christmas peanut butter cookies

10 Dec

christmas-blossom-cookies

Christmas in Sydney is a hot and humid affair. There`s none of the snow and ice skating and roasting things by a roaring fire. Here it is a swim after a cold seafood lunch and trying to avoid the flies and sunburn.

My whole life I have wanted to experience a white Christmas and last year The Hungry Family experienced the best Christmas of our lives! We spent a cold, white, snow-filled Christmas in Whistler, Canada and it was magically beautiful. To say a white Christmas exceeded our very high expectations is an understatement.

img_6446

From our amazing accommodation – complete with an open fire – to the metres of snow that fell like magic it was such an incredible experience.

Misses 8 and 10 spent the entire trip in a state of wonder. Watching their faces when we first saw the snow, or walking through the falling snow, or ice skating or going on a horse drawn sleigh, was priceless.

We were so blessed – both my mum and mum-in-law came so we had a white Christmas with family. We could not have asked for anything more. We were joined by our Canadian relatives who we hadn`t seen in 5 years and we spent many a fun evening catching up.

We had a week in Whistler and I only spent a day ski-ing. Having not skied since I was a child I was more interested in all the other aspects of a snowy Christmas – drinking rum by the fire, dinking hot chocolate, exploring the shops, and baking!

cookiesbench

Every year, as I do my Christmas baking in 35C heat, I fantasise about how more pleasant baking would be in a cold climate. Last year, watching the snow fall while I pottered in the kitchen, I was proved correct.

There was one day when the gals and the Hungry Dad were snow boarding and the mums were lunching in the village. I spent hours and hours baking Christmas bickies and brownies and listening to Wham! singing Last Christmas. It was one of the happiest moments of my life. I didn`t know how well-equipped the kitchen in our rental would be so I packed baking trays, mixing bowls, cookie cutters, cooling racks and my favourite spatula. As it turned out, the kitchen was truly luxurious and had everything a baker could ever need.

champagnerollingpin

We were so lucky and I will treasure the memories of this white Whistler family Christmas forever.

Among other things I baked these easy Christmas peanut butter cookies topped with a Herseys Kiss. These can be tricky to find in Australia so feel free to add your favourite chocolate – I reckon Jaffas would be fab. You can use a mixer or do by hand.

115 grams butter, diced

3/4 cup smooth peanut butter

1/4 cup caster sugar

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 egg

2 tablespoons milk

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

48 Hersheys chocolate kisses, unwrapped

1/3 cup green sprinkles

christmasblossoms

LET`S GET TO IT:

Preheat oven to 180c and line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper.

Place green sprinkles on a large flat plate, set aside.

In a large bowl cream together the peanut butter and butter then stir in both sugars and mix until pale. Mix in vanilla, egg and milk until combined then stir in flour and mix until thoroughly mixed.

Roll dough into balls the size of a walnut then roll in the green sprinkles.

Bake for 8-10 minutes then remove from oven and immediately press a Kiss into the centre of each bickie. Remove to wire rack to cool.

whistler

15 Responses to “Christmas peanut butter cookies”

1. lulu December 10, 2016 at 11:19 am #

Peanut butter with chocolate….no way would I resist.

2. Antonia December 10, 2016 at 1:04 pm #

Sounds like it was a lovely Christmas! Your cookies look delicious and so festive!

• The Hungry Mum December 12, 2016 at 11:25 am #

It was just a perfect Christmas Antonia…. now I want to do it al over again!

3. Eartha December 10, 2016 at 2:04 pm #

Those are beautiful memories. Love the cookies. ☺ Have a happy Christmas season!

• The Hungry Mum December 12, 2016 at 11:43 am #

Thanks Eartha – hope your Christmas is fab.

4. Gary Lum December 10, 2016 at 5:43 pm #

I think you can find bags of the kisses at Costco Mum. These look good. I hope you enjoy a nice warm Christmas this year.

5. FrugalHausfrau December 11, 2016 at 12:53 pm #

Oh, it sounds like you had such a marvelous vaca! I love hearing about your travels but I’m smiling a bit at you schlepping your baking supplies across continents! When I run back and forth from the folk’s house to mine (about five hours) I do the same, although I’m gradually getting things I need at both places. 🙂 I’m glad you had such a great time!

Mollie

• The Hungry Mum December 12, 2016 at 11:27 am #

The Hungry Dad thought I was mad but there was no way I was risking being without my supplies! As you can see, I had to use a champagne bottle for a rolling pin – and then I had to drink the whole bottle! #WhatAShame

• FrugalHausfrau December 12, 2016 at 12:28 pm #

lol, Mum!! Well, if you ever get anywhere near Minnesota, you’ll have to let me know! I’ll help out with that champagne!!

6. heartandsoul974 December 12, 2016 at 6:30 am #

It sounds like a tropical Christmas is what you’re used to. We live in Northern New Hampshire, quite close to Canada and are blessed to have snow mostly every Christmas. It is magical and perfect for baking and hanging out by the fire. I’ve made these cookies every year and they are amazing. You guys don’t import Hershey’s kisses?

• The Hungry Mum December 12, 2016 at 11:42 am #

oh, you are so lucky! Yes, Sydney is v hot and tropical, Dec means humidity and flies and sunburn! Wanna swap?!

• heartandsoul974 December 12, 2016 at 12:07 pm #

Wouldn’t that be something? I would miss the snow at Christmas, though!😊

7. Carolyn Page December 12, 2016 at 5:28 pm #

What a magical time you had! And to have all that fun with family/loved ones must have been priceless!
    Like you, I’ve always wanted a ‘white Christmas’. I still have that to do, though, last New Years we spent in London (where it wasn’t snowing) and the 1st day of 2016 in Copenhagen (where is was snowing and was sooooo magical). To say we enjoyed ourselves would be an understatement extraordinaire.
    I truly enjoyed this post; it rings of Christmas bells, warm fires, hot drinking chocolate, fun and love…. And those Peanut Butter Cookies look amazing… 🙂

8. ChgoJohn December 15, 2016 at 11:06 pm #

I doubt you could have picked a better spot for your first encounter with a white Christmas and what a great experience to gift your children, too. No holiday cookie table is complete without at least 1 type of cookie with the chocolate and peanut butter combo. Yours look perfect!