How to make banana coconut bundt cake from scratch

22 Apr

Bananas. I feel they should come with a warning – in three days this green, unripe piece of fruit will be a bruised, brown banana that no-one will want to eat.

At least, that’s how it is in my house, especially when the weather has the slightest hint of humidity.

Miss6, the fussy one, will actually eat bananas without complaint. So I buy them. Then her BFF at school will have apples at fruit break & she too insists on apples. Le sigh.

Hence today’s bake is a banana coconut bundt – thankfully I love baking with bananas. Both Miss6 & 8 had a hand in making this cake which gives you some impression of the degree of difficulty [ie – none. Super easy].

I found the recipe for this lovely, moist cake in my well-thumbed copy of AWW’S Quick Mix Cakes bake. The original used wholemeal flour but I used plain self-raising. I also reduced the sugar.

125g butter at room temperature, diced

2 teaspoons grated lemon rind

½ cup brown sugar

two large, over-ripe bananas, mashed with a fork

1 1/2 cups self-raising flour

1/3 cup shredded coconut

1 teaspoon bicarb soda

Preheat oven to 180C and spray a bundt tin with non-stick spray.

Place all ingredients except banana into bowl of electric mixer and beat on low until combined. Increase speed to medium until mix changes colour. Scrape down sides, add banana and mix briefly on low until incorporated.

Scrape into tin, place in oven and bake for 35 minutes / until a skewer comes out clean.

Allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool completely.

32 Responses to “How to make banana coconut bundt cake from scratch”

1. cheergerm April 22, 2014 at 9:32 am #

It’s a constant ‘battle of bananas’ here too. It’s hard to hit that 2 minute pocket of ‘ripened to perfection’. This looks very yummy.

• thehungrymum April 22, 2014 at 10:39 am #

Yes! You do have about 2 minutes in which to eat them before they’re overly ripe :)

2. accommodationbrisbanecbd April 22, 2014 at 10:57 am #

This topic How to make banana coconut bundt cake from scratch is really helpful I want to try it at home.

3. acasadisimi April 22, 2014 at 11:06 am #

yummy!!!!! very delicious!
    Simi

• thehungrymum April 25, 2014 at 9:47 am #

Thanks ;) Is good to have an easy bundt cake recipe to hand for those cake emergencies!

4. themondaybox April 22, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

Always good to have ripe banana recipes on hand and this cake looks like an excellent ripe banana treat! The tropical flavors sound great!

• thehungrymum June 16, 2014 at 9:18 am #

Yes! They can be turned into so many yummy things – bananas rule :)

5. tinywhitecottage April 22, 2014 at 2:29 pm #

I love bundt cakes and simple baking recipes….this is both! Lovely.

6. girl in a food frenzy April 23, 2014 at 1:46 am #

Bananas & coconut feel like the beginning of a tropical holiday. If only it were so. Love that other people have trouble using them up too. Indeed, bananas are the ultimate baking ingredient. Love the trusty AWW too :)

• thehungrymum April 23, 2014 at 9:51 am #

That AWW book is such a hard worker in my kitchen – I use it *all* the time. And yes – a tropical holiday would be pretty nice. #Dreaming

• girl in a food frenzy April 23, 2014 at 2:38 pm #

Likewise! I love their recipes. I grew up reading all my mum’s magazines when I was little :)

7. Liz April 23, 2014 at 1:54 am #

ooh la la…so very nice! Pretty and yum.

• thehungrymum April 23, 2014 at 9:09 am #

cheers :) You can’t beat a good bundt x

8. gottagetbaked April 23, 2014 at 4:35 am #

I always have ripe bananas in my freezer and banana-coconut is one of my favourite flavour combos. Your bundt looks awesome!

• thehungrymum April 23, 2014 at 9:13 am #

What excellent taste you have in cakes :) Hope you try this one – is a keeper.

9. ChgoJohn April 23, 2014 at 6:01 am #

I’ve a new bundt cake pan — the last one ended up in the trash with the last cake clinging stubbornly to it — but have been afraid to use it. Your cake may be just the recipe to christen it. The bananas are like sirens, calling me to bake. :)

• thehungrymum April 23, 2014 at 9:12 am #

Oooh, is no fun at all when the cake sticks. Non-stick spray is your best friend when it comes to bundts. Find a good one you can trust & *only* use that brand.

10. Amanda@ChewTown April 23, 2014 at 10:26 pm #

Love a bundt! I’ve got mini bundt tins but haven’t quite graduated to the full-bundt experience yet :)

• thehungrymum April 24, 2014 at 4:05 am #

Keep your mini-bundt pans at the ready – I have a recipe coming up very soon! I adore bundt pans & love the fact that they look so special without any icing.

11. Choc Chip Uru April 24, 2014 at 3:11 am #

This cake is so delicious looking, moist beyond reason :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

• thehungrymum April 28, 2014 at 1:28 am #

Cheers CCU – this would be a walk in the park for you to make x

12. davegon April 24, 2014 at 4:00 pm #

I love the color on the sides of the cake! Coconut and banana sounds like a great combination!

• thehungrymum April 28, 2014 at 1:28 am #

Thanks – was worried it was too dark & it may have been over-cooked but was done to perfection!

13. Deblet April 28, 2014 at 7:06 pm #

Looks like a great recipe,will five it a try especially since Hubbie and I bought big bags of bananas on the same day

• thehungrymum April 29, 2014 at 11:29 am #

wow – that’s a lot of ‘nanas :) Hope you do try it – you’ll be glad you did.

14. lapetitecasserole April 30, 2014 at 5:00 am #

I love this shape for cakes, they seem to be even more yummy!

15. Kloesunny @ Kloe's Kitchen May 4, 2014 at 4:41 pm #

Somehow my Bundt cakes never turn out, but your is beautiful!

• thehungrymum May 7, 2014 at 4:31 am #

The secret, my friend, is greasing the hell out of the tin! I spray & spray mine with non-stick, then allow the cake to cool for 15 or so minutes before de-panning [don't think that's a word...!]

16. thehungrymum April 24, 2014 at 1:46 am #

You’re welcome :) Hope you try this cake- is VERY delish.

17. thehungrymum May 9, 2014 at 5:06 am #

Thanks for popping by & commenting :)