Easter chocolate brownie biscuits (cookies)

16 Apr

Easter is one of my favourite times of year. You get to catch up with friends and family, eat delicious food and watch the kid’s faces as they hunt for eggs. And, like Christmas, you get to go completely over the top with your baking. Or is that just me?

As I write this I am preparing to host an Easter Sunday brunch for family. My mum offered to host but all I could think was – some of the desserts aren’t moveable! So we’ll be having everyone here! Amongst my trifles and tarts and bundt cakes I realised I hadn’t hit the chocolate target so I obviously I had to rectify that. I found this recipe on the wonderful blog pastryaffair.com – here’s the original: http://www.pastryaffair.com/blog/brownie-cookies.html

Eagle-eyed readers will see that I reduced the sugar and took out the salt, and swapped the choc chips for candy coated mini chocolate eggs. In non-Easter times I reckon walnuts would be great, too.

Gather:

55 grams butter
85 grams dark chocolate, chopped
55 grams milk chocolate, chopped
2 large eggs
¼ cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Enough candy-coated mini chocolate eggs to decorate the biscuits [I used two per biscuit]

Let’s get to it:

Preheat oven to 180C and grease and line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper.

In a large saucepan, melt the butter and chopped chocolate over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. With a metal spoon stir in the eggs, sugars, and vanilla extract. Stir in flour and baking powder.

Using a heaped teaspoon place batter onto the sheet and decorate with two candy-coated eggs. Allow room for them to spread.

Bake for between 7-11 minutes, until just set [you want them to be moist].

Leave on tray for a few minutes before transferring to wire rack.

25 Responses to “Easter chocolate brownie biscuits (cookies)”

1. cheergerm April 16, 2014 at 9:13 am #

Super cute. :)

2. Jhuls April 16, 2014 at 9:30 am #

These cookies really look beautiful and yummy! :)

• thehungrymum April 16, 2014 at 9:32 am #

Thanks! They certainly hit the chocolate spot!

3. hotlyspiced April 16, 2014 at 10:10 am #

These are gorgeous Easter biscuits and I love how they have the little eggs to decorate them xx

4. Sandie @ AppleBee Lane April 16, 2014 at 12:47 pm #

These look so cute … a perfect Easter treat!

5. lapetitecasserole April 16, 2014 at 1:18 pm #

Brownie cookies? Did I read correctly??? It sounds great and mouth-watering!

6. Tiffany @ Triple Crème Decadence April 16, 2014 at 9:12 pm #

A great Easter treat! The brownie-cookie combination is blowin’ my mind!

7. prairiepalate April 17, 2014 at 12:37 am #

I may try these for Easter Supper. Yum!

8. kloesunny @ kloeskitchen.wordpress.com April 17, 2014 at 1:12 am #

What a lovely Easter treat! These look amazing! Thanks for sharing!

• thehungrymum April 17, 2014 at 10:42 am #

oooh, ta :) Hope the bunny is kind to you.

9. Liz April 17, 2014 at 2:13 am #

How much do I love that you moved Easter to the desserts? So very very much :-) Fantastic and have a blessed and yummy Easter.

• thehungrymum April 17, 2014 at 10:40 am #

I’m kinda obsessed with all that is baked. For a moment I even contemplated serving only desserts at my brunch but then remembered how hyper Miss6 gets on sugar ;)

10. chocolatesuze April 17, 2014 at 4:13 am #

these cookies look so cute!

11. Choc Chip Uru April 17, 2014 at 9:47 pm #

Mmm, these brownie biscuits look so delicious :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

12. ChgoJohn April 19, 2014 at 2:28 am #

Ooooh! Candy and cookies, my favorite combination! Have a wonderful Easter! Don’t work too hard.

13. Helen @ Scrummy Lane April 19, 2014 at 5:52 am #

Don’t you just love those little chocolate eggs? Perfect idea to press them into a chocolate cookie. Happy Easter!

14. themondaybox April 22, 2014 at 1:02 pm #

Such festive cookies! Brownie cookies fill your empty chocolate target with a bullseye! :)

15. girl in a food frenzy April 23, 2014 at 1:39 am #

I love this time of year. We Aussies are so lucky to be getting a double dose of long weekends and definite baking action in too. Love the little eggs in these brownie cookies, they’re so cheerful. Or is that cause chocolate makes me happy!

• thehungrymum April 23, 2014 at 8:05 am #

This looong break is unreal! I’ve eaten non-stop & have had a baking frenzy. All my Tupperware is full of baked goods #FirstWorldProblems

• girl in a food frenzy April 23, 2014 at 2:38 pm #

Best kind of first world problems & we still have this weekend to go!

16. thefolia April 27, 2014 at 6:01 pm #

A brownie and a biscuit all in one–wow amazing. I just sweetened brownies the other day with beetroots and they were divine! Happy Nesting

• thehungrymum April 28, 2014 at 1:26 am #

Yep – it is the all-in-one treat that melts in your mouth :) Have never tried using beetroot as sweetener – sounds good! #LoveBeetroots

17. thehungrymum April 24, 2014 at 1:46 am #

Hehehe! You’re right- they were the first thing to vanish at my Easter brunch.