No bake chocolate peanut butter bars

11 Oct

If you are trying to watch your waistline or worried about the soaring costs of dental care avert your eyes. For this treat be both fat-and-sugar laden *but* it is super delicious and a cinch to make.

And anyway [not trying to sound defensive or anything] but if you are going to have a gloriously unhealthy morsel you are WAY better off having something you have created in your own kitchen, rather than some demented factory-produced piece of crud that is full of fake flavours.

Off my high horse now… I discovered this delish recipe on the lovely To Serve, With Love blog. Here is the original:

As this is a no cook slice it is perfect for those days when it is just too hot to turn the oven on. And she had the brill idea of making it in a Tupperware container – use this to transport the slice & you less washing up!

Cut into very small pieces to serve. Try to cut it nicer than I did: it looks like blind possums hacked at this piece!

Base:

200 grams finely crushed plain biscuits  {Marie are ideal}

100 grams melted butter

Filling:

50 grams brown sugar

200 grams icing sugar

50 grams unsalted butter, softened

200 grams peanut butter {original called for smooth, I only had crunchy}

Topping:

200 grams milk chocolate

100 grams dark chocolate

2 tablespoons butter

Line a large-ish yet not so deep {technical, eh?} Tupperware with greaseproof paper, ensuring it hangs over the sides.

In a food processor combine melted butter and biscuits then press over base of container. Place in fridge to firm up for half an hour or so.

In bowl of electric beater mix the filling ingredients until combined then carefully spoon over the base.

Back into fridge.

Melt together topping ingredients in a bowl over simmering water on stove. When smooth pour over slice.

Set in fridge overnight.

Try not to eat it all at once.

18 Responses to “No bake chocolate peanut butter bars”

1. Dione October 11, 2012 at 8:03 am #

This is delicious! Don’t think I can risk making it though as I will eat the whole thing……

• thehungrymum October 11, 2012 at 8:16 am #

Thanks! I’m fairly immune to sweet treats but this one kept getting nibbled at…

2. Little Gumnut October 11, 2012 at 10:54 am #

sounds delicious!!! Might be a good Christmas slice! Have you tried Tiger Butter? So naughty but sooo nice! tastes like Reeces Peanut Butter Cups from the US!

• thehungrymum October 12, 2012 at 2:55 am #

These would be good at Chrissy, when it is just toooooo hot to turn on the oven. Haven’t heard of Tiger Butter but sounds right up my alley. I’ll keep an eye out :)

3. The Smart Cookie Cook October 12, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

Mmm. There really isn’t anything better than a no-bake chocolate & peanut butter dessert. Yum!

• thehungrymum October 13, 2012 at 4:48 am #

I know – easy & oh so delish!

4. tastyfoodsnaps October 13, 2012 at 4:47 am #

Peanut butter! Would be even nicer than caramel slices :)

• thehungrymum October 13, 2012 at 4:54 am #

It is nicer coz it has the crunchy/salty mix. You should try it :)

5. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella October 13, 2012 at 10:55 am #

I really like no bake slices! They’re faster for starters and can usually stand a bit of lunchbox beating too! :D

• thehungrymum October 14, 2012 at 3:50 am #

Couldn’t agree more! Quick = good :)

6. misspiggielovestoeat October 13, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

OMG. That looks so DELICIOUS!!
    *must look away, or my cravings will go over the roof…!!

• thehungrymum October 14, 2012 at 3:49 am #

Do what I do – make it, then give it away [after nibbling a little piece first!]

7. Lilly Sue October 14, 2012 at 12:53 am #

I love peanut butter :D

• thehungrymum October 14, 2012 at 3:42 am #

You & me both! And adding chocolate to the mix is even better :)

8. Christine @ Cooking Crusade October 14, 2012 at 1:23 am #

PB and choc is a sainted winner and a huge fave in my books. Love that you made it into a slice… Deeliiicious!

• thehungrymum October 14, 2012 at 3:40 am #

Those flavours meld sooo well together! And who doesn’t love slice :)

9. nancyc October 19, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

Yum, this sounds great! I love both chocolate and peanut butter! :)

• thehungrymum October 20, 2012 at 11:34 pm #

It is a winning combo! THis is very rich so a small bit goes a long way :)