Easy one bowl passionfruit bundt cake

6 Oct

How delicious is the zing of passionfruit in baked goods? Teamed with buttery morsels, such as this super simple bundt, it produces a memorable result. Don’t be deceived by the simplicity of this cake – it may have just 6 ingredients and take no time to whip up but it produces an incredible cake.

You could make this easily with store cupboard ingredients if no fresh passionfruit are at hand. I used fresh ones when my local greengrocer had them on sale at an incredible price. I used three good size ones.

125g butter at room temperature, chopped

¾ cup caster sugar

2 cups sifted self-raising flour

½ cup of milk

¼ cup passionfruit pulp [canned is fine if it is out of season]

Preheat oven to 180C and thoroughly grease a bundt pan, ensuring you get into all the nooks and crannies.

Put everything except passionfruit pulp into bowl of electric mixer and beat until combined. Increase speed until mixture is changed in colour.

Using a spoon stir through passionfruit pulp.

Scrape into bowl and bake about 45 minutes/until a skewer comes out clean.

When cold dust with sifted icing sugar.

33 Responses to “Easy one bowl passionfruit bundt cake”

1. Sophie33 October 6, 2012 at 10:44 am #

I love passion fruit a lot but it is still very expensive over here in Belgium! But I must make this delectably looking cake! Yummmm!

• thehungrymum October 6, 2012 at 10:54 am #

It can be expensive at times in Australia, too! That’s when I used the stuff in a tin. Do you have tinned passionfruit in Belgium or is it an Australian thing?

• Sophie33 October 6, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

It is an Australian thing! :)

2. Dannie (@dosedannie) October 6, 2012 at 11:10 am #

OMG! Love passion fruit and i know i can’t muck it up as i stuff up on so many cakes lol… I guess that’s why i ain’t a foodie blogger *sigh* :-)

• thehungrymum October 6, 2012 at 11:36 am #

This is so quick & easy & you’ll love the end product – promise :)

3. Y October 6, 2012 at 11:47 am #

Oh I need to try this. Have been having fun playing with my bundt tin too.

• thehungrymum October 6, 2012 at 11:51 am #

Bundt tins are so fab, aren’t they? Try this cake & let me know what you think.

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella October 6, 2012 at 6:41 pm #

I love passionfruit in cakes, it really lifts the flavour beautifully doesn’t it? :)

5. Cate's Kitchen Adventures October 6, 2012 at 11:02 pm #

YUM! Summer must be just around the corner if the passionfruits are back!

• thehungrymum October 6, 2012 at 11:13 pm #

Indeed! Once passionfruit start getting cheap you know summer is getting close.

6. glitzgirlzglamourguide October 7, 2012 at 4:06 am #

What a great idea! Thank you for sharing!

7. grabyourfork October 7, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

Love a one-bowl recipe and bundt cakes are always a winner. Will have to bookmark this one for summer :)

• thehungrymum October 8, 2012 at 1:02 am #

I love one bowl cakes, too – less washing up :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

8. girlinafoodfrenzy October 9, 2012 at 4:09 am #

I love passion fruit and yes, I’m definitely an advocate for the one bowl cake mix too.

There’s something so refreshingly good about creating a simple cake with few ingredients and being wowed by the results.

The old school method is making a comeback (not only because I’m not allowed to use a mixer at culinary school) but also because I think home cooks don’t want to fuss with all the other stuff and hopefully get back to basics and the simple life!

9. Super Horst October 9, 2012 at 11:19 pm #

I like passion….. And fruit! It’s a win win cakey!

• thehungrymum October 10, 2012 at 11:05 am #

It is a passionate & fruity cakey :)

10. Sharon Alger (@Funken_Wagnel) October 10, 2012 at 1:41 am #

You’ve just reminded me that we need to put a big passionfruit vine in. Been without passionfruit for too long

• thehungrymum October 10, 2012 at 11:03 am #

Hopefully you’ll have more success than us – our vine lasted one season before it shrivelled & died :(

11. Shanshan Lam (@food_religion) October 10, 2012 at 9:22 am #

one of my fav fruits, anything with passionfruit is always a winner for me

• thehungrymum October 10, 2012 at 11:01 am #

It is a happy fruit! Thanks for popping by :)

12. Awanthi @ Sybaritic Pleasures October 10, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

Oh my god – I adore passion fruit! When I was little we’d go to this hill station near where I grew up and I adored it; the cooler weather, the scent of eucalyptus, the long winding roads, the lazy rainfall that punctuated the day – and PASSION FRUIT! My mum would make it into cordial and we’d drink it all day long, all summer long. Lovely memories! This looks SO divine!

• thehungrymum October 10, 2012 at 11:19 pm #

I just love your writing style Awanthi – I feel like *I* was there with you, drinking cordial and smelling the eucalyptus. So poetic x

• Awanthi @ Sybaritic Pleasures October 11, 2012 at 4:17 am #

Ah, thank you. :) For the record, you would love Ooty and Coonoor; they are beautiful hill stations. Life is just – slower – there. :)

13. Mich - Piece of Cake October 12, 2012 at 8:46 am #

I’ve never baked with passion fruit… and I sure would love to try your easy and delicious recipe..

• thehungrymum October 12, 2012 at 8:59 am #

Give it a go – you’ll love it :)

14. Christine @ Cooking Crusade October 14, 2012 at 1:23 am #

Yum.. I love passionfruit but I never bake or cook with it nearly enough! Now I feel like baking a passionfruit slice haha

• thehungrymum October 14, 2012 at 3:41 am #

Pretty much all I do with passionfruit is bake with it :) I’m not a tropical fruit fan!

15. Simon Food Favourites October 22, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

wow i love how simple this recipe is. i reckon i could even do it.

• thehungrymum October 23, 2012 at 10:48 am #

Simply & easy – what’s not to love :)

16. Gihan June 23, 2013 at 5:26 am #

it is a cold, wet day and have to visit a friend tonight. Wanted to make a cake to take with me, but did not want to have to go out to buy any ingredients. Had passion fruit that i dont want to go to waste and found your recipe. Doubled the recipe and made to cakes. We cut into one, boy was is light, fluffy and very delicious. Thankyou for a very easy recipe that is fail proof. Will definately be making this again.

• thehungrymum December 9, 2013 at 10:27 am #

Your comment has made my day! Glad the cake was a success, and good to know it can easily be doubled. Thanks for the feedback :)