Classic old-fashioned cinnamon teacake

2 Oct

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – cinnamon is the new black. The older I get the less I’m interested in sickly sweet desserts and cakes but I still want something with a real taste. I love vanilla [real, actual vanilla – not the nasty synthetic stuff] and I love cinnamon. This cake has both which makes it a real winner.

This is a cake to enjoy the day it is made, while it is still warm. It won’t win any awards for prettiest cake but everyone who tastes it, loves it. Often make this to take into work where it always vanishes in a flash.

This cake, based on an AWW recipe, is so simple that I asked Miss 6 to help me make it. I’d like it on the public record that they are her hands in the photos, not mine :)

1 cup of self-raising flour

1 egg

1/3 cup of milk

2/3 cup caster sugar

60g butter, softened, diced

splash vanilla

topping

10g butter, extra

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 tablespoon caster sugar, extra

Preheat oven to 170C and grease and line a round 20cm cake tin.

Beat butter, egg, extract and sugar in bowl of electric mixer for about five minutes, until light and fluffy.

Using a spoon stir in milk and flour.

Scrape into pan [there isn’t heaps of batter] and bake for around 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for five minutes before turning onto rake.

Melt extra butter and brush top of cake then sprinkle on combined extra cinnamon and caster sugar.

27 Responses to “Classic old-fashioned cinnamon teacake”

1. hipfoodiemom October 2, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

This cinnamon teacake looks fabulous! I want some right now with my coffee! :)

• thehungrymum October 4, 2012 at 2:50 am #

Sending you a slice of cybercake x

• hipfoodiemom October 4, 2012 at 4:14 am #

Haha! Love that! Thank you! :)

2. Stacy Lyn October 2, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

Teacake – something I plan to make in the near future, thanks to you. <3

3. Zen and Genki October 2, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

Looks delicious!

4. Nancy @ gottagetbaked October 3, 2012 at 4:20 am #

I’m completely the same way as you – I like lighter desserts that are big on flavour but don’t leave me crashing on sugar. I actually don’t even like eating frosting – the only reason I use it is for the looks. This cake sounds like the perfect snack to eat when you need a pick me up.

• thehungrymum October 4, 2012 at 2:50 am #

Snap RE frosting. It is one of the reasons I serve my cakes naked :)

5. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella October 5, 2012 at 7:05 am #

That would be SO good with a cup of tea or coffee. Love how easy it is too :)

6. Sophie33 October 6, 2012 at 8:46 am #

Maybe, it is classical but it looks so appeting though! MMMMM!

• thehungrymum October 6, 2012 at 10:16 am #

Cheers! It is a really lovely cake – you should give it a whirl.

7. Starr October 8, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

mmm, this cake looks and sounds fantastic!

• thehungrymum October 8, 2012 at 9:46 pm #

Thanks! Is very easy x

8. Cassie @ next stop: food October 11, 2012 at 6:03 am #

OMG!! cinnamon cake!! Delish!! I’m going to have to save this recipe and give it a go one day!
    My mum ordered a cinnamon toast the other day, I never knew such a thing existed and omg, it was heaven!! HAHA!

• thehungrymum October 11, 2012 at 7:38 am #

Cinnamon is so under-rated yet it is *so* incredible. I’m bring cinnamon back, baby.

9. Our Growing Paynes October 11, 2012 at 8:09 pm #

Cinnamon is great in a lot of things and is so good for you too. This looks really good and something my kids would want to try. Thanks for posting.

• thehungrymum October 11, 2012 at 11:35 pm #

Isn’t cinnamon the best? My girls love making [and eating] this cake x

10. Christine @ Cooking Crusade October 14, 2012 at 1:15 am #

Woaaaaaaaah. This looks AMAZING. I absolutely LOVE cinnamon. Its such a simple spice but adds so much flavor. I’m especially addicted to chai lattes for the same reason hehe..

• thehungrymum October 14, 2012 at 3:41 am #

^ What she said! Cinnamon is my hero!

11. ayoliag October 19, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

yum! I love experimenting with cinnamon .. horrible in rice though :s

• thehungrymum October 20, 2012 at 11:35 pm #

I love cinnamon but have never tried it with rice [and now don't think I will!] x

12. ellebakes November 3, 2012 at 8:11 am #

yum! I think cinnamon has to be my favourite spice:)

13. Adsoes November 11, 2012 at 2:54 am #

Made one of these this morning – was keen for a baked goodie to have with an early afternoon coffee…it was DEMOLISHED by the entire family before the kettle had finished boiling! Very delicious, extremely easy, thanks THM!

• thehungrymum November 11, 2012 at 6:01 am #

Thanks Adsoes! This cake always goes down a treat!