Dark chocolate loaf cake

27 Sep

I was sent a copy of ‘After Toast – Recipes for Aspiring Cooks’ by Kate Gibbs to review in my day job as a journalist at The Leader newspaper. I brought it home to test some recipes and the first one to get the Hungry Mum treatment was her recipe called All About The Chocolate Loaf. I adore chocolate cakes that actually use chocolate, rather than cocoa, and this delivers that intense choc hit I was after. Ms Gibbs said the cake improves over a day or two but I served mine that evening. She suggests sesame & almond praline as an accompaniment but I lathered mine with dark chocolate ganache and walnut pieces.

1 1/3 cups plain flour

1 teaspoon bicarb soda

130g dark choc melted

200 g butter, diced, at room temperature

1 ¼ cups brown sugar

2 large eggs

splash vanilla

1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 190C and grease and line a 23cmx 13cm loaf pan.

Sift flour with bicarb, set aside.

Cream butter and sugar in bowl of electric mixer until pale, then add eggs one at a time, then vanilla.

Fold in melted chocolate. Add one heaped spoon of flour at a time and boiling water alternately, stirring after each addition [I didn’t end up using all the water]. Batter will be runny. Make sure there are no lumps.

Pour into pan and bake for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 170C and cook for another 15 minutes.

Remove and allow to cool for about two hours before turning on a wire rack. When cold dress with choc ganache or icing sugar.

22 Responses to “Dark chocolate loaf cake”

1. kerrycooks September 27, 2012 at 11:11 am #

Looks very yummy! all chocolate cakes should have actual chocolate in them!

2. thelittleloaf September 27, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

This chocolate loaf looks beautifully dark and delicious!

3. hipfoodiemom September 27, 2012 at 5:11 pm #

OMG, yum!

4. ideeintavola September 27, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

I love dark chocolate!!! ;)

• thehungrymum September 28, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

I hear that, girlfriend Give me dark choc over milk choc ANY day!

5. Christine (@cookingcrusade) October 2, 2012 at 2:13 am #

Woah this looks soo deadly gooood! I don’t know why I don’t make chocolate cake loaves more often.. love the first shot with the ganache coming down the sides mmmmm

• thehungrymum October 2, 2012 at 7:09 am #

Thanks! Love a loaf, they are compact and easy to cut. And I always have a container of ganache in my fridge for emergencies :)

6. Sophie33 October 6, 2012 at 8:47 am #

Waw! What a stunning & very divine looking chocolate cake & I love thet drizzled frosting too!

• thehungrymum October 6, 2012 at 10:15 am #

Why, thank you! I do love me some drizzle on cake.

7. petit4chocolatier October 6, 2012 at 11:27 am #

Triple yummy!!! Love the drizzle!

• thehungrymum October 6, 2012 at 11:36 am #

Thanks! I like to think the drizzle is more Donna Hay-esque than the laziness it really is ;)

8. Heather October 7, 2012 at 10:51 am #

Wow, this looks absolutely delicious! I’m a chocolate fiend and will definitely have to try this recipe!

• thehungrymum October 8, 2012 at 1:03 am #

This certainly has that choc hit we all need :)

9. Camilla October 11, 2012 at 7:29 am #

This cake just ticks all the boxes, looks totally lush and I want some now!

• thehungrymum October 11, 2012 at 7:37 am #

It is rather delish! Thanks for popping by x

10. sheeluagarwal November 22, 2012 at 7:22 am #

Mouth watering.. This goes in my Oven today.. :)

11. Jhuls August 18, 2013 at 5:22 am #

Bookmarking this, too!! I love dark chocolate! :)

• thehungrymum August 19, 2013 at 7:59 am #

Yay! This is super simple but sooo yummy :)