Double chocolate pumpkin muffins

13 Sep

Yes, it is muffin mania at the Hungry Mum! What’s not to love about a portable sweet treat that requires no icing and no cutting?

Pumpkin has long been my favourite vegetable but it is only recently that I have been attracted to the idea of adding it to sweet dishes. In Australia it is served roasted or sometimes mashed but always savoury. Thanks to international baking blogs I am becoming somewhat obsessed with plonking pumpkin into my baking repertoire. Unlike the US we don’t have canned pumpkin here so it requires a fair bit of effort to chop/boil/mash the pumpkin but it is so worth it.

Having said all that, I found this recipe on bestrecipes.com.au, an Australian baking site so maybe there are others out there in this sunburnt country creating pumpkin baking alchemy.

1 ½ cups plain flour

1/3 cup cocoa

2 cups cooked, cooled pumpkin

1/3 cup vegetable [not olive] oil

1/3 cup milk

1 cup sugar

¾ cup choc chips

2 teaspoons bicarb soda

splash vanilla

Preheat oven to 180C and line a muffin tray with muffin wrappers.

In a large bowl whisk together dry ingredients, stir in choc chips.

Whisk wet ingredients until combined then add to dry using a silver spoon. Do not over mix.

Spoon into wrappers and bake for 20-ish minutes/ until a skewer comes out clean.

Serve warm or cold.

ImageImage

15 Responses to “Double chocolate pumpkin muffins”

1. MarksSparringPartner September 13, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

The pumpkin means they’re good for you right? Aaah, who cares, they look great!

• thehungrymum September 14, 2012 at 6:44 am #

Hell yeah – these are practically health food. And eggs for protein & milk for strong bones, too…

2. gottagetbaked September 13, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

I love pumpkin too! Fall with all it’s foods and flavours is my favourite season. These muffins look glorious – so dark, decadent, and chicolatey! I bet the pumpkin makes them super moist too.

• thehungrymum September 14, 2012 at 7:18 am #

Pumpkin is an unsung hero of a vegetable! And you’re so right, these muffins are moist due to its inclusion.

3. stace8383 September 14, 2012 at 2:47 am #

That sounds like a brilliant way to get a toddler to eat pumpkin! “It’s chocolate, honey, really!” ;) haha

4. mydearbakes September 14, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Awww, this looks so fantastic, well done!! =)

• thehungrymum September 14, 2012 at 11:11 am #

High praise indeed from the baking queen! Thanking you :)

5. Christine @ Cooking Crusade September 17, 2012 at 1:30 am #

Mm another great muffin recipe from the hungry mum! Love it!

• thehungrymum September 17, 2012 at 4:58 am #

Cheers! You just can’t top a muffin, really. x

6. deceptivedomestic September 19, 2012 at 2:18 am #

Looks great! I’ve never had pumpkin mashed as a vegetable; in the US it is primarily a component of desserts. So interesting!

7. Lilly Sue September 23, 2012 at 10:10 pm #

mmm…double chocolate :D

8. thehungrymum September 22, 2012 at 7:19 am #

Thanks! You just go wrong with pumpkin :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Stop what you’re doing and look at this! « Kerry Cooks - September 20, 2012

[...] Another fabulous fall recipe (I’m turning American!!!) – Double chocolate pumpkin muffins [...]