Double chocolate pumpkin muffins

13 Sep

Yes, it is muffin mania at the Hungry Mum! What’s not to love about a portable sweet treat that requires no icing and no cutting?

Pumpkin has long been my favourite vegetable but it is only recently that I have been attracted to the idea of adding it to sweet dishes. In Australia it is served roasted or sometimes mashed but always savoury. Thanks to international baking blogs I am becoming somewhat obsessed with plonking pumpkin into my baking repertoire. Unlike the US we don’t have canned pumpkin here so it requires a fair bit of effort to chop/boil/mash the pumpkin but it is so worth it.

Having said all that, I found this recipe on bestrecipes.com.au, an Australian baking site so maybe there are others out there in this sunburnt country creating pumpkin baking alchemy.

1 ½ cups plain flour

1/3 cup cocoa

2 cups cooked, cooled pumpkin

1/3 cup vegetable [not olive] oil

1/3 cup milk

1 cup sugar

¾ cup choc chips

2 teaspoons bicarb soda

splash vanilla

Preheat oven to 180C and line a muffin tray with muffin wrappers.

In a large bowl whisk together dry ingredients, stir in choc chips.

Whisk wet ingredients until combined then add to dry using a silver spoon. Do not over mix.

Spoon into wrappers and bake for 20-ish minutes/ until a skewer comes out clean.

Serve warm or cold.

ImageImage

15 Responses to “Double chocolate pumpkin muffins”

1. MarksSparringPartner September 13, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

The pumpkin means they’re good for you right? Aaah, who cares, they look great!

• thehungrymum September 14, 2012 at 6:44 am #

Hell yeah – these are practically health food. And eggs for protein & milk for strong bones, too…

2. gottagetbaked September 13, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

I love pumpkin too! Fall with all it’s foods and flavours is my favourite season. These muffins look glorious – so dark, decadent, and chicolatey! I bet the pumpkin makes them super moist too.

• thehungrymum September 14, 2012 at 7:18 am #

Pumpkin is an unsung hero of a vegetable! And you’re so right, these muffins are moist due to its inclusion.

3. stace8383 September 14, 2012 at 2:47 am #

That sounds like a brilliant way to get a toddler to eat pumpkin! “It’s chocolate, honey, really!” ;) haha

4. mydearbakes September 14, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Awww, this looks so fantastic, well done!! =)

• thehungrymum September 14, 2012 at 11:11 am #

High praise indeed from the baking queen! Thanking you :)

5. Christine @ Cooking Crusade September 17, 2012 at 1:30 am #

Mm another great muffin recipe from the hungry mum! Love it!

• thehungrymum September 17, 2012 at 4:58 am #

Cheers! You just can’t top a muffin, really. x

6. deceptivedomestic September 19, 2012 at 2:18 am #

Looks great! I’ve never had pumpkin mashed as a vegetable; in the US it is primarily a component of desserts. So interesting!

7. Lilly Sue September 23, 2012 at 10:10 pm #

mmm…double chocolate :D

8. thehungrymum September 22, 2012 at 7:19 am #

Thanks! You just go wrong with pumpkin :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Stop what you’re doing and look at this! « Kerry Cooks - September 20, 2012

[...] Another fabulous fall recipe (I’m turning American!!!) – Double chocolate pumpkin muffins [...]

love & berries

Clean Food Made with Love

A Screaming Whisperer

travel..motherhood..foods..simple fun..

The Tofu Diaries

A UK Vegetarian Food, Travel & Photography Blog

The Sweet Hermit

A catalogue of my love of baking, travelling and life after moving abroad

A Wondering Minstrel I

I'm wandering from topic to topic and wondering what on earth I am doing.

cleaneatingfeelingfabulous

A uni student that's passionate about being healthy, being happy, and being fabulous on the inside and outside!

Make, shake and bake

My baking adventure

Daisy Chain Feasts

Adventures in fun and food

Food 4 Your Mood

A journey to the Gastronomy Universe. A one-stop destination for foodies, chefs and wannabes.

Meals with Margaret

From My Home to Yours

eatmeetswest

Food goes here.

Konnichiwa Mickey

The unofficial guide to Tokyo Disney Resort

flippenblog's Blog

Now that is exactly the question. What is this flippen blog about? I am like a crow. If it shines, I like it. If it is pretty, I like it. If I can eat it, even better!

Moore or Less Cooking Food Blog

Easy Recipes for Anyone Who Likes to Cook and Bake

kate attwood cooking

recipes. meals. loves. hates. successes. disasters

Le donne lo sanno...

Blog rivolto in modo particolare al mondo delle donne,alle loro passioni,desideri,preoccupazioni.Consigli sullo shopping,sulla cosmesi,sull'alimentazione e in generale sulla vita