Brown sugar & choc chip biscuits/cookies via Joy the Baker

30 Aug

Joy the Baker is a legend. Her eponymous website is an inspiration and her recipes always work. I had a hankering to make some bickies the other day and her site was my first port of call. She wrote about these lovely brown sugar cookies last September and said she found the recipe in Epicure.

Brown sugar, I’ve decided, is the secret to a long and happy life. It is richer and more seductive than its white counterpart and takes baked goods up a notch. I tweaked this a smidge and added the choc chips that she suggested. I added a mix of dark choc bits, and caramel choc bits. Why not?

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 large egg

170g unsalted butter at room temperature, diced

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

½ teaspoon mixed spice

Dark choc chips [as much as you want!]

Preheat oven to 180C and line two baking trays with non-stick paper.

Put butter and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric stand mixer and beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and add the egg and vanilla extract, and beat on medium speed for another minute.

Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and mixed spice in a bowl and add to butter mixture. When everything is incorporated stir in choc bits with a silver spoon and put bowl in fridge for half an hour.

Roll golf ball size amounts of dough and place on tray. These don’t spread much so you can fit heaps on.

Bake for 10-ish minutes.

Divine.

10 Responses to “Brown sugar & choc chip biscuits/cookies via Joy the Baker”

1. Jessi September 1, 2012 at 7:14 am #

I totally agree – I love brown sugar, makes everything better =)

2. Christine (@cookingcrusade) September 1, 2012 at 9:15 am #

Woah. Where did you get Caramel Bits?? I’ve never seen those before! They look amazing!!!!!!!! PS Looove Joy’s blog. So great!

• thehungrymum September 2, 2012 at 9:53 am #

They are amazing! Can’t recall exactly but it would have been either Woolies or Coles [slim chance of it being Franklins?]. Sorry, not much help but if you ever see them – grab them!

3. Super Horst September 3, 2012 at 12:39 am #

Great biscuits lady. Have you thought of incorporating custard into you repertoire? As most husbands enjoy custard, especially baked custard tarts…..

• thehungrymum September 3, 2012 at 7:28 am #

Thanks for the comments, Super Horst. On June 16 I blogged about a magic baked custard tart.
      Cheers <3

4. The Healthy Flavor September 13, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

Those look delectable!!!

5. R Taylor October 26, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

I love brown sugar! That’s why I would definitely try this recipe! I can’t wait.

• thehungrymum October 27, 2012 at 4:57 am #

Isn’t it the best! Makes caster sugar seem like a poor cousin!

The Sweet Hermit

A catalogue of my love of baking, travelling and life after moving abroad

A Wondering Minstrel I

I'm wandering from topic to topic and wondering what on earth I am doing.

cleaneatingfeelingfabulous

A uni student that's passionate about being healthy, being happy, and being fabulous on the inside and outside!

Make, shake and bake

My baking adventure

Daisy Chain Feasts

Adventures in fun and food

Food 4 Your Mood

A journey to the Gastronomy Universe. A one-stop destination for foodies, chefs and wannabes.

Meals with Margaret

From My Home to Yours

eatmeetswest

Food goes here.

Konnichiwa Mickey

The unofficial guide to Tokyo Disney Resort

flippenblog's Blog

Now that is exactly the question. What is this flippen blog about? I am like a crow. If it shines, I like it. If it is pretty, I like it. If I can eat it, even better!

Moore or Less Cooking Food Blog

Easy Recipes for Anyone Who Likes to Cook and Bake

kate attwood cooking

recipes. meals. loves. hates. successes. disasters

Le donne lo sanno...

Blog rivolto in modo particolare al mondo delle donne,alle loro passioni,desideri,preoccupazioni.Consigli sullo shopping,sulla cosmesi,sull'alimentazione e in generale sulla vita

kitchen konfidential

...sharing my cooking secrets & recipe inspirations

littlemiss yorkshire pudding

All things foodie in, out and all about

Me+Him+You

My name is Breanna, and my husbands name is Justin . We are best friends, and newlyweds! We love subscription boxes, taking photos, exploring LA, and laughing until we cry. I want this blog to represent both us, and show what marriage is really like after you say " I DO!"

C'est Laureen Qui L'a Fait...

Que la vie soit douce et sucrée !