Donna Hay lemon syrup and coconut cake

17 Aug

mainLemonSyrup

I love, love, LOVE syrup cakes. Pouring a heap of sugared water over a warm cake and letting all the sweet, sugary goodness be soaked up? Mmmm, what’s not to love? This lemon syrup cake, by my baking hero Donna Hay, is so moist and divine that one piece will not suffice. Serve it cooled, or for mega accolades, warm with cream. Don’t mind if I do…

IMG_8454

150g butter

1 cup caster sugar

1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind

1½ cups (120g) dessicated coconut (I used a mix of dessicated and shredded for extra texture)

1½ cups (225g) self-raising (self-rising) flour

¾ cup (185ml) milk

lemon syrup

1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar

¾ cup (185ml) water

2 tablespoons lemon juice

IMG_8449

Preheat oven to 180°C and grease and line a 20cm square tin with baking paper. Beat butter, sugar and lemon rind in an electric mixer until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well. Mix through the coconut, flour and milk with a wooden spoon until smooth. Pour tin lined with and bake for 40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool cake in tin.

To make the lemon syrup, combine the sugar, water and lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until dissolved. Simmer for 5 or so  minutes or until thickened slightly. Using skewer punch holes in cake and pour over warm or cool cake.

IMG_8457

15 Responses to “Donna Hay lemon syrup and coconut cake”

1. PlantBasedDietAdventures August 17, 2012 at 11:16 am #

You’re right! How can you not want more and more and….I’m hungry for breakfast….do you ship? ;)

• thehungrymum August 17, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

Sure, I reckon this cake could quite happily travel across the globe :)

2. Keep Calm and Eat On August 17, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

This gotta be good! Coconut and lemon go so well together. I would probably add a bit of lemon rind to the syrup for some extra kick. I am inspired!

• thehungrymum August 18, 2012 at 7:57 am #

Hey, that’s a great idea – will add the rind to the syrup next time. Cheers!

3. Zen and Genki August 19, 2012 at 12:47 am #

Oh yummy, that looks and sounds so wonderful…well done, you’ve got me drooling :)

• thehungrymum August 19, 2012 at 7:45 am #

Thanks. Donna Hay always gets my baking juices flowing :)

4. Christine August 27, 2012 at 1:19 am #

love your cute little cake tester hehe. love all of Donna Hay’s recipes! i’d demolish this one pretty quickly..

• thehungrymum August 27, 2012 at 5:18 am #

Is about the hearts! Donna is my hero <3

5. Awanthi @ Sybaritic Pleasures August 27, 2012 at 11:08 am #

Adore Donna; she’s so warm and all her food tastes like a good long cuddle from mum!

• thehungrymum August 27, 2012 at 11:09 am #

I want to be her when I grow up. Does she have a big following in India?

• Awanthi @ Sybaritic Pleasures August 27, 2012 at 11:20 am #

She has a massive following here! India adores Masterchef Australia; they have their largest audience here, in fact. And Donna’s cooking show airs on TLC. :)

6. FreeFlowFoodie September 4, 2012 at 5:17 am #

Lemon and coconut? Errrr YES please!!! Sounds yummy, hungry mummy :-)

7. Georgia Leaker July 15, 2014 at 11:41 pm #

Oh I need this in my belly right now.