Easy banana cake with chocolate ganache

6 Aug

I was going to start this post by writing everyone loves banana cake but that’s so not true. My mum abhors bananas in any way, shape or form. The poor woman often peers hopefully into my cake tin when she comes over, only to firmly replace the lid when she discovers the baked good is banana cake/bread/muffin.

My mum notwithstanding, I find that banana cake is a real crowd pleaser. This easy recipe, via The Australian Women’s Weekly’s Quick Mix Cakes, makes a slab cake that is just begging for a layer of dark chocolate ganache.

2 over-ripe bananans, mashed

¾ cup brown sugar

¼ cup milk

125g butter at room temperature, diced

1 ½ cups self-raising flour

Preheat oven to 170C and grease and line a 19x29cm cake tin.

Put everything in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat gently until everything is combined, then increase speed until mixture is changed in colour.

Spoon into pan and bake 25-35 mins [depending on your oven].

When cold spread with chocolate ganache.

21 Responses to “Easy banana cake with chocolate ganache”

1. Christine (@cookingcrusade) August 6, 2012 at 11:42 am #

Yum, this looks scrumptious! I love making banana bread or cakes… Great way to use up those overripe bananas!

• thehungrymum August 6, 2012 at 11:45 am #

And don’t those bananas go from green to black in a heart beat?! We had a bowl of under-ripe ‘nanas last week, this week I will be baking many a banana baked good!

2. Lisa August 6, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

My Mom used to buy cake just like this once a week, when I was in HS, so banana cake with chocolate ganache gets the memories flowing. I need to slather my next banana bread or cake with chocolate anything!

• thehungrymum August 7, 2012 at 11:20 am #

banana & choc is a winning combo – can’t go wrong :)

3. Lisa Warren (@heyLisaWarren) August 6, 2012 at 11:24 pm #

Your mum doesn’t know what she’s missing out on! That looks delicious Belle.

4. Don't Quote Lily August 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

Love love love anything with bananas! :)

• thehungrymum August 8, 2012 at 11:17 am #

Ditto! Add some chocolate & I’m a happy little Vegemite :)

5. thehungryartist August 8, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

My husband doesn’t like it much either. I don’t get it. I love banana bread. And with chocolate–you can’t go wrong!!

• thehungrymum August 9, 2012 at 10:48 am #

Bananas when baked into *anything* are super good :)

6. adaisygarden August 8, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

Looks delicious!

7. girlinafoodfrenzy August 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

Love a slab cake! Nothing is more Aussie than a slab, beer, cake & more! Banana cake is one of those things I could make (with all those frozen nanas in my fridge, I just gotta get round to it! :)

• thehungrymum August 12, 2012 at 12:08 am #

It is *so* Aussie, isn’t it? No fuss, just pure yumminess :)

8. Shannon McCarthy August 15, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

This chocolate banana cake was delicious. Made it for my husband this past weekend and between him and my grand-kids, it was gone in no time flat. Thanks for sharing.
    – Shannon, the Crumb Cake Queen

• thehungrymum August 16, 2012 at 2:08 am #

oooh, thanks for the feedback! Glad it was a hit!

9. Foodie Joanie August 24, 2012 at 11:40 am #

that’s just 6 ingredients to make that delicious cake! awesome!

• thehungrymum August 27, 2012 at 10:31 am #

Hey, I never counted! You’re right, just a few ingredients and voila, a yummo cake.

10. Mama's Gotta Bake August 24, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

Oh yum! Chocolate and banana is my favorite combo!

11. stephanieaherreratw September 17, 2012 at 11:00 am #

Reblogged this on Stephanie Herrera Pad.

The Sweet Hermit

A catalogue of my love of baking, travelling and life after moving abroad

A Wondering Minstrel I

I'm wandering from topic to topic and wondering what on earth I am doing.

cleaneatingfeelingfabulous

A uni student that's passionate about being healthy, being happy, and being fabulous on the inside and outside!

Make, shake and bake

My baking adventure

Daisy Chain Feasts

Adventures in fun and food

Food 4 Your Mood

A journey to the Gastronomy Universe. A one-stop destination for foodies, chefs and wannabes.

Meals with Margaret

From My Home to Yours

eatmeetswest

Food goes here.

Konnichiwa Mickey

The unofficial guide to Tokyo Disney Resort

flippenblog's Blog

Now that is exactly the question. What is this flippen blog about? I am like a crow. If it shines, I like it. If it is pretty, I like it. If I can eat it, even better!

Moore or Less Cooking Food Blog

Easy Recipes for Anyone Who Likes to Cook and Bake

kate attwood cooking

recipes. meals. loves. hates. successes. disasters

Le donne lo sanno...

Blog rivolto in modo particolare al mondo delle donne,alle loro passioni,desideri,preoccupazioni.Consigli sullo shopping,sulla cosmesi,sull'alimentazione e in generale sulla vita

kitchen konfidential

...sharing my cooking secrets & recipe inspirations

littlemiss yorkshire pudding

All things foodie in, out and all about

Me+Him+You

My name is Breanna, and my husbands name is Justin . We are best friends, and newlyweds! We love subscription boxes, taking photos, exploring LA, and laughing until we cry. I want this blog to represent both us, and show what marriage is really like after you say " I DO!"

C'est Laureen Qui L'a Fait...

Que la vie soit douce et sucrée !