Lemon poppyseed cake recipe

31 May

After a recent raid on my mother-in-law’s lemon trees I knew a citrus cake would be in order. These lemons are unlike anything I’ve ever bought: juice, plump and plenty of gorgeous flesh just begging to be grated into a sweet treat.

This lemon poppyseed cake, courtesy of my Bible-esque Australian Women’s Weekly’s Quick Mix Cakes, is always a hit, wherever it goes. I’ve made it many times and even non-cake eaters always want a slice.

I have tweaked the original recipe slightly.

185g diced butter at room temperature

Grated rind of one large or two smaller lemons

2 cups self-raising flour

¾ cup of milk

20g poppy seeds

¾ cup caster sugar

Preheat oven to 170C. Line a large loaf pan with baking paper.

Place all ingredients, except the seeds, into the bowl of an electric mixer and blend on low speed until all combined. Increase speed until mixture is smooth. Stir in seeds with a spoon.

Bake for 45-ish minutes/until a skewer comes out clean.

Cool in tin for 10 minutes, then cool on wire rack.

Dust with icing sugar before serving.

Imageloaf,

10 Responses to “Lemon poppyseed cake recipe”

1. MarksSparringPartner May 31, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

I’m sure with the help of my four year old even I might be able to have a go at this one. Nice.

2. sybaritica June 3, 2012 at 1:22 am #

I love eating this but I’ve never tried making it. Thanks for the nice easy recipe !

• thehungrymum June 3, 2012 at 2:33 am #

Give it a go, you won’t believe how quick & easy it is! Thanks for stopping by :)

3. girlinafoodfrenzy June 3, 2012 at 6:29 am #

I love raiding other folk’s fruit trees! Presumably with permission of course but there’s always something yummy at the end of that foraging :)

4. thecompletecookbook June 14, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

This is just my type of recipe – going to dash down the passage to see if I have any poppy seeds in the cupboard. :-) Mandy

• thehungrymum June 15, 2012 at 4:21 am #

Everyone loves poppyseeds! Hope you found some!

5. thehungrymum July 10, 2012 at 11:46 am #

Thanks for the ping back :)

6. thehungrymum August 25, 2014 at 2:21 am #

Cheers! Hope you get a chance to make it :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins « The Complete Cook Book - July 10, 2012

[...] I saw this recipe (originally a cake but you all know I like to make individual portions) over at The Hungry Mum.  When I try a new recipe, I always make it as stated.  The flavour of these muffins are spot on [...]

love & berries

Clean Food Made with Love

A Screaming Whisperer

travel..motherhood..food..simple fun..

The Tofu Diaries

A UK Vegetarian Food, Travel & Photography Blog

The Sweet Hermit

A catalogue of my love of baking, travelling and life after moving abroad

A Wondering Minstrel I

I'm wandering from topic to topic and wondering what on earth I am doing.

cleaneatingfeelingfabulous

A uni student that's passionate about being healthy, being happy, and being fabulous on the inside and outside!

Make, shake and bake

My baking adventure with a hint of cooking

Daisy Chain Feasts

Adventures in fun and food

Food 4 Your Mood

A journey to the Gastronomy Universe. A one-stop destination for foodies, chefs and wannabes.

Meals with Margaret

From My Home to Yours

eatmeetswest

Food goes here.

Konnichiwa Mickey

The unofficial guide to Tokyo Disney Resort

flippenblog's Blog

Now that is exactly the question. What is this flippen blog about? I am like a crow. If it shines, I like it. If it is pretty, I like it. If I can eat it, even better!

Moore or Less Cooking Food Blog

Easy Recipes for Anyone Who Likes to Cook and Bake

kate attwood cooking

recipes. meals. loves. hates. successes. disasters

Le donne lo sanno...

Blog rivolto in modo particolare al mondo delle donne,alle loro passioni,desideri,preoccupazioni.Consigli sullo shopping,sulla cosmesi,sull'alimentazione e in generale sulla vita