Real dark chocolate lace biscuits [cookies]

7 May

I’ve come across these biscuits before with different names but I think the genius cooks at The Australian Women’s Weekly have bestowed upon these sweet morsels the best name: chocolate lace crisps. Once again this recipe is from their bible Bake.

I’ve made these many times and despite not having an overly sweet tooth I adore them. According to the notes I’ve scrawled in my cook book I first made them for a mother’s day picnic in 2010 and I made them recently for another picnic that was called off [due to bad weather]. In fact I love them so much that they are used as my WordPress image.

These are so delicious due to the dark chocolate so make sure you don’t use nasty compound stuff or they won’t taste anywhere near as good.

100g chopped dark chocolate

80g butter, diced

1 egg

¾ cup caster sugar [or even a smidge less]

1 cup plain flour, sifted

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

¼ teaspoon bicarb of soda

¼ cup sifted icing sugar

Place chocolate and butter in a medium sized pan and melt over a very low heat until glossy and smooth.

Remove from heat, allow to cool for about five minutes, then stir in sugar, cocoa, flour, soda and egg.

Place in fridge for 10-15 minutes or until mix is firm enough to handle.

Heat oven to 180C and line two baking sheets with baking paper.

Place icing sugar on a small plate.

Make a ball [about the size of a golf ball] with mixture, roll in icing sugar and place on baking tray.

Bake 12-15 minutes and cool on trays.

See my Hungry Mum column in Thursday’s Leader here.

8 Responses to “Real dark chocolate lace biscuits [cookies]”

1. Louise May 7, 2012 at 2:08 am #

You’ve inspired me, I’m going to get the ingredients and try them now! This is really not good for my diet however!

• thehungrymum May 7, 2012 at 2:11 am #

Good on you – you won’t regret it! Do what I do and give them so it removes all temptation.
      Thanks for popping by x

2. Heather Fisher May 7, 2012 at 2:17 am #

love you and your cooking… the Canadians!!!!

3. Choclette May 7, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

I’ve seen variations of these in various places and keep meaning to have a go at making them AND I still haven’t managed it. You are not the only one to say how good they are. That tin full looks very tempting.

4. thefolia August 8, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

Love your biscuits (photo of them that is)! The bite size is perfectly deceptive–oh there so cute and tiny. I’ll just have one or two…

5. Usha Novelli December 3, 2012 at 6:56 am #

Dark chocolates and milk chocolates are the best. ..

<a href="Please do look over our very own blog site