Nigella Lawson’s fast and easy salted caramel sauce

10 Apr

This recipe is The Bomb. It is quick, requires a handful of ingredients, will rock your world and impress everyone who is lucky enough to sample even a drop of it. This sauce requires real, lux salt, not the nasty table salt that you can buy in massive pantry packs. Nigella has shown us again why she is the queen of all things decadent and divine with this recipe. Serve this with vanilla ice cream for a show stopper dessert. Add the salt in increments & taste as you go.

With thanks to Anna Warr [http://www.facebook.com/AnnaWarrPhotography] for her delish snaps.

50g brown sugar

50g caster sugar

50mL golden syrup

125mL double cream

75g  unsalted butter, cubed

half to one-and-a-half teaspoons best quality salt [I use pink Murray River salt]

Melt butter, sugars and syrup in a small heavy pan and simmer for two to three minutes. Swirl, don’t stir, occasionally.

Slowly pour in cream and half a teaspoon of the salt and stir before tasting. Add a little more salt at a time if you desire.

Pour into serving jug and watch your guests drool.

19 Responses to “Nigella Lawson’s fast and easy salted caramel sauce”

1. Dione April 10, 2012 at 11:56 am #

I will definitely be making this – looks amazing! Just need to buy good salt… Nigella’s recipes are always delicious

• thehungrymum April 10, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

I agree, that woman knows her way around the kitchen! Good salt should be available in supermarkets. Failing that perhaps a friend could give you some of her stash?

2. ILikeIceCream April 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

Love the recipes. Any chance in the future we could see some wheat-free (almond meal!?) or protein-rich after dinner treats? Thanks!

• thehungrymum April 10, 2012 at 11:11 pm #

Hmmm, will put my thinking cap on for protein rich desserts & almond-meal based sweet treats. Thanks for stopping by!

3. Adsoes April 10, 2012 at 10:08 pm #

That looks sensational, I’ll be trying that one out tonight…

• thehungrymum April 11, 2012 at 4:02 am #

Please do and let me know what you think of it.

4. The Modern Home Economist April 11, 2012 at 1:23 am #

Yummmmmmmy caramel. Delicious and decadent!

5. laxmichawla April 11, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

looks yumm..gonna try it soon

• thehungrymum June 16, 2012 at 8:08 am #

You really should – you won’t regret it :)

6. Purely.. Kay April 12, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

i can just see this amazing caramel sauce paired with so many things. I love it. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe with us. Wonderful post

• thehungrymum April 12, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

Some people even eat it by the spoonful. So I’ve heard…
      Thanks for visiting!

7. Karen June 15, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

Reblogged this on Another Scratch Blog and commented:
    This is something worth making. I can already imagine how it tastes.

8. Tessa Suggett September 23, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

Spectacular recipe. Thank you

9. erin October 29, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

ooo this caramel does look delicious!!

• thehungrymum October 30, 2012 at 8:39 am #

The best way to eat is spooned straight from jar :)

10. Liz November 18, 2013 at 2:56 pm #

Adore Nigella Lawson. But. I’ve read that there’s really no American substitute for golden syrup. True? Am sure I could hunt it down somewhere. There’s not much I wouldn’t do for a crazy-good (and fast and easy :-) ) salted caramel sauce.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Chocolate cinnamon cupcakes with salted caramel | the hungry mum - November 18, 2013

[…] I blogged the salted caramel sauce a while back. Find the recipe here: http://thehungrymum.com/2012/04/10/nigella-lawsons-fast-and-easy-salted-caramel-sauce/ […]