A simple sandwich brings happiness

30 Jan

This is my first post on thehungrymum so if you’re reading this – thanks! Hopefully you’ll stick around. I know from extensive blog reading that short’n’sweet is definietly the way to go so that’s going to be my mantra.

Today I hit the gym for the first time in years. Literally, the most exercise I’ve done in the past two years is unpacking groceries. Biggest surprise about gym world: it didn’t completely suck [and trust me, I despise exercising].

After all that sweating I decided a healthy lunch was in order so I made a yummy sandwich using Greek pitta bread. If you’ve never tried this bread stop reading now and track it down. Some delis and supermarkets store it in the chilled section as it keeps the bread fresher. Sidenote: this bread, fried with a smidge of olive oil, is divine when served warm with dips.

On a piece of swoon-worthy Greek pitta I spread beetroot dip [so lush], canned chickpeas [drained & rinsed], zucchini peeled into ribbons and a hint of tasty cheese. I meant to take a photo after a few bites to upload but didn’t get the chance [ahem].

I love trying new sandwich combinations but give me a wrap as my bread of choice any day.

What do you love on a sandwich?

8 Responses to “A simple sandwich brings happiness”

1. Mr WordPress January 30, 2012 at 1:52 am #

Hi, this is a comment.
    To delete a comment, just log in, and view the posts’ comments, there you will have the option to edit or delete them.

2. girlinafoodfrenzy April 11, 2012 at 10:06 am #

Just checking out your original post and I must say a good sambo is one of my favourite things in the world. Believe it or not, I love fancy ingredients, prosciutto, good quality Brie or delicious pickles/relish but seriously if I had to choose tow things that never disappoint can I say grilled tomato & cheese, :)

• thehungrymum April 11, 2012 at 10:48 am #

Yes! Cheese & tom rocks! That is often my ‘go to’ sandwich, except sometimes I replace the tomato with, erm, more cheese.

• girlinafoodfrenzy April 11, 2012 at 11:31 am #

well, you’re a very sensible woman then… :)

3. Gallivanta January 20, 2013 at 2:11 am #

I love tomatoes in sandwiches. Thanks for reminding me about slicing zucchini; it’s zucchini growth spurt time in the garden and I am having to put on my ‘what to do next with zucchini” hat.

• thehungrymum January 20, 2013 at 4:01 am #

I always need a reminder eat eat zucchini raw – it has such a lovely, crunchy texture. Is great i salads, too :)

4. deliciouslynell December 9, 2013 at 5:14 am #

Yum! A healthy, happy sandwich. :3

Whiskey & Chanel

A dash of spice and a splash of paint

Eloises Edibles

The relatable foodies blog

livewanderlove

Go out and see the world

Doc Ellen Cooks

Co-author of cookbook "Students Go Gourmet, simple gourmet for every day," ER pediatrician, mother of four, food blogger, food historian: sharing recipes and a thing or two about the balancing act

The Odd Pantry

Essays on food

alifemoment

Colourful Food and Lifestyle

Tokyo Five

A family of five in Tokyo, Japan...

Blessed with a Star on the Forehead

As I navigate through this life ...

Custard or Cream

"foods for eating not styling"

food & foto

with audrey michelle

Peas with Honey

a writer talking food

For The Love Of Ghee

A recipe blog, by a Zimbabwean-born Indian, laced with food memories from the past and present.

Nessy Eater

A Sydney food blogger who believes knives and forks ain't gonna lift themselves.

Fresh Bread

Cooking and eating - east of Warrigal Road

Cupcake In Cairo

Life of the crazy cupcake lady.

CITY-CUPCAKES